Thread: Anyone for Global Game Jam?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone for Global Game Jam?

One week from now, the Global Game Jam takes place all over the world. Any PGD developer who will participate? Myself, I am hosting the local GGJ here in Link??ping, Sweden (most likely small, it is the first time). I can't hope for many FPC coders to show up here, though.

http://globalgamejam.org/

http://computer-graphics.se/gamejam/

I'm gonna be in Munich for Global Game Jam. I did the entry last year in FreePascal with my engine, I'm not quite certain if I'll use FreePascal this year as well, it depends on the team (I was the only coder in our team last year) and the game idea.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I'm gonna be in Munich for Global Game Jam. I did the entry last year in FreePascal with my engine, I'm not quite certain if I'll use FreePascal this year as well, it depends on the team (I was the only coder in our team last year) and the game idea.
    Nice! I thought I couldn't be the only one. What do you think about the Game Jams? What makes them work, what makes it a creative environment?

It will be the first time for me, so it is both exciting and a bit confusing. (I am responsible for booking but I co-host with people with multiple Game Jame experience.)

I'm a big fan of any game jams whatsoever. I think the advantage of real-life game jams (as opposed to virtual ones like Ludum Dare) is that to you are in team and there's a lot more pressure, you can't really afford to give up. Another factor is that you have to make decisions within a few minutes max and stick with them as you don't really have time to completely scrap ideas and start from scratch.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Sounds like I am on the right track then. I have done small quick projects a few times before, usually with one more person (which I think is important, you need a discussion partner as well as someone that can take on some tasks that you don't have time for) but never with larger teams and not teams formed like in GGJ.

I am not sure what kind of team I will want, one where I do the programming or where someone else does, or I make a boardgame instead... but as long as I do something, I think it will be fun.

Now I am at the Game Jam and I just don't know what to do. Without a single FPC (or similar) programmer around, I have nobody to code with. I won't code in C/C++ for fun, that simply isn't fun. The guy I hoped to work ideas with went home.