Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Increasing traffic on PGD...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    IOTW is a cool idea, but I can see if falling apart if each week we don't have a new image to post.
    Yeah, there would need to have a handful of images always in the pipe to handle the downtimes.

It doesn't have to be Image of the Week. It could be just a random image from random project. This will help promote users projects a lot. And it would be best if clicking on image would take wiever to site with short description of the project or even better to projects website if it has one.

Blog Entries
    Hmm yeah we could just make it something like a Screenshot Showcase instead. Adding a box to the front page showing the "Current Screenshot Showcase" would be easy and I can custom-make the script to upload the images, etc...

Submissions could use a form and accept a screenshot, caption, project url/homepage. I could then tie it into the PGD site it's self, but have it separate, much like the AJAX Chat system works. Only it would enforce loggin in.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    It doesn't have to be Image of the Week. It could be just a random image from random project. This will help promote users projects a lot. And it would be best if clicking on image would take wiever to site with short description of the project or even better to projects website if it has one.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hmm yeah we could just make it something like a Screenshot Showcase instead.
    That could be used as a fallback, but IME screenshot showcases don't draw the same kind of interest/discussions, because they're not "news", but more like a rotating banner/add/random pic.

Blog Entries
    Well it wouldn't be random the way I was thinking of it. We could have a minimum amount of time it gets to stay up there then when the next person (in a queue) submits their screenshot it becomes the profiled screenshot with caption and description kind of like IOTW/D, etc but without the pretense that it's a specific amount of time. IF there are no more submissions for a while the last one sticks around (including the time period its given to stay up there) until someone submits a new one.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

GDR: Game Developer's Refuge

Not sure if it's the best place to put this, but in the last months I've added the GDR: Game Developer's Refuge site on my RSS to follow the development of the Moai tool, and it looks a nice place. I'm tempted to join-in myself.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    As a Game Developer, here are some topics that I would like to see here:

1) 64-bit development and performance (I've opened the thread about it: no interest).
    2) DirectX: nobody cares here because OpenGL is the only way to go for Unix/Mac OS guys, who are the majority here.
    3) Mac OS specifics: there was some discussion in Delphi XE 2 news thread with Czar and me, but that's all.
    4) iOS specifics: how to use sensors, compass, magnetometer, etc. There are random threads on Embarcadero forums, but I would like to see this material *here*.
    5) Databases, networking, multiplayer in Delphi.
    6) Publishing of Delphi made iOS apps and publishing in general.
    7) Performance optimizations in 64-bit inline assembly in Delphi.
    8 ) Math materials (libraries, code snippets, etc.) For example, nobody here mentioned the issue of Extended support lacking in 64-bit platform: seems like an interesting discussion to do and there is an alternative posted somewhere on Embarcadero. Why not mirroring it here?
    I find the forum quite valuable, although there obvioulsy isn't all that many people using it regularly. My own visits are in periods. I post about issues that I find important, and sometimes I get some replies. Unfortunately, the really interesting topics don't tend to get long and deep discussions.

1) I find this very interesting but I havn't taken the time to figure out exactly how to work with 64-bit code. I suppose it is just a compilation switch and making sure that records have proper sizes. From there, as you say, performance questions. But I missed your thread about it.
    2) Couldn't care less. If I do MSW programming I use OpenGL anyway.
    3) My main target, but uncommon on this forum. Sadly, FPC game developers on the Mac are few.
    4) I have worked quite a bit on iOS code, including iOS support in my IDE project, but this too doesn't seem to be what this forum is really about.
    5) Database support might be fun, if I had any important application for them.
    6) Publishing is indeed important, as if I had the time to finish a game to sellable state...
    7) Delphi only? No thanks.
    Math tools are really important.

A little bit of these issues can be addressed with forum organization. I don't think there are any Mac or iOS sections, but there are so many odd sections that it is hard to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    A little bit of these issues can be addressed with forum organization. I don't think there are any Mac or iOS sections, but there are so many odd sections that it is hard to navigate.
    +1 (this is what I think about all those dicontinued engines, too ...)
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    +1 (this is what I think about all those dicontinued engines, too ...)
    If I remember correctly, vBulletin allows sub-forums. May be the forums need a cleaning and re-organization using this. I know it's too much work, but I think it's worth of.

Also, what about to keep a list of projects similar to the Depot of Allegro.cc? Is there a plug-in for vBulletin we can use?

Right now I'm unemployed, so may be I can help. I haven't experience with vBulletin (except as moderator) but I did work with PHP for the last 6 years.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 19-11-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

One more thing... Where is "subscribe to thread"? Any forum must make E-mailed notifications today to keep up with FB. And it must be default to get notifications.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast