Thread: Need a Couple of New Staff Members! Volunteers?

Blog Entries

Question Need a Couple of New Staff Members! Volunteers?

Hey everyone,

Yes, I'm looking for more staff members once again. So far besides AthenaOfDelphi helping with background administration and networking from time to time, it's just me and code_glitch right now running things. It's a bit task to run this site just the two of us, so we really could use people who like to volunteer their time for the community. This includes keeping an eye on the forums, helping to promote PGD through other social networks and posting news on the front page when something is found and needs to be spread to the whole PGD community.

People who can multitask among these separate individual duties is better, but we can use all the help we can get.

Jobs need doing:
    • Posting News on front page
    • Moderating Forums
    • PR via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+
    • Helping to Organize PGD community events (PGD Challenge, Live Chats/Talks, IOTW, etc)

If you feel that you can help with any of these above, please send me an email at contact@pascalgamer.com with the subject line "PGD Staff" so I know of your interest.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    So NOBODY is interested? So much for the concept of "community effort."
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I belive I can help you a bit with forum moderation. Well as much my free time will permit me.
    Until now I haven't offerred my asistance becouse I'm afrait that I won't be in much of asistance. But it seems that you need any help you can get. So count me in.

Blog Entries
    Sorry about recent absences . I figured I'd have a wealth of time between January and May/June exams. Apparently, some curriculum directors decided against that idea. Freeing the schedule up though
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Ok SilverWarior I'll set you up as a moderator and give you the quick brief on what tasks you will be responsible for and how to do them. Thank you so much for volunteering!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

It's a little bit unclear what responsibilities are for each of the positions and also what authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    quick brief on what tasks you will be responsible for and how to do them.
    May be it does make sense to give the quick brief to everyone.

Personally I'm interested in Image of the Week feature. How it can be implemented? Is there a suitable module for the site or we have to develop it?

Blog Entries
    Well I won't give the whole brief here, but in short here are the responsibilities of each job.

Forum Moderator

Nothing new here, but I would like to stress that you are not simply PGD topic police. You are the prime example of what posters should act and behave like. Though your opinions may vary, you can guide members not following the rules of conduct and show them a better way of doing things to get what they want without having the forums turn into chaos. Think of yourselves as the site's organizers and peacekeeps all in one.

Tasks:

• Cleaning up & organizing threads and posts
    • Keeping the peace
    • Setting an example
    • Killing Spam

News Poster:

You are going to make a huge impact on the community by keeping it better informed. Where the forum moderator is the glue that holds the structure together, you are the stick that gives it substance. Information is key and you are going to help spread it to the community as a whole. That's half of the battle in running this community. Without this information being posted on the front page, PGD is just another cheap social club rather than the ultimate hub of all things game dev with Pascal and it's cousins.

Tasks:

• Looking for News
      • Developer Tools
      • Design/Dev tools made with Pascal (ex. Fruity Loops, Nitogen's Font Tools)
      • Game Libraries or API wrappers
      • Game projects (games made in Pascal!)
      • Tutorials or updates from our affiliates (PP4S, Free Pascal meets SDL or DelphiGL)
      • Posting about other significant things to do with programming, computers in general, game industry and the independent game development world as a whole...

• Posting News

Public Relations:

This is a new job that could take up a lot of a little bit of your time. As we post more and more news on PGD, we need to spread the word about PGD to others using all these new social networks that are now a staple of everyday life on the net. Before if you wanted to spread the word you had to simple join a webring of sites or pass by word of mouth. You came to these sites individually because that's all there was. Then Web 2.0 came about and then the social networks and then mobile phones that came with web capability and now everyone lives on these as access everything through it. This is the new face of the internet and we can be a part of it or we can fade away.

So roll out your Twitter, Google+, Facebook, YouTube and many other various apps and lets get PGD seen out there. Now I'm not talking about spamming everyone, heck no! What you are doing instead is simply posting about these things in places that it is relevant. Talk and discuss that you post with others and their comments too. I'm not saying let it take up all your time and be a Pascal Nazi, but if noone is posting about these great projects then nothing gets seen by the general indie developer population.

Task:
    • You job is to make PGD more seen by others using social networking sites, how you do it is up to you as long as it's not pure spam and doesn't make us look bad.

NOTE: Since this is a new job idea, I can't really tell you what your responsibilities are. This task will mostly fall under your own initiative. Make videos and post them. Post videos of other projects on different sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc. Join the Facebook group for PGD and take advantage of what other things we have started and build from there would be your first task. We would have chats and discuss ideas on how to do this as the new job grows.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    May be it does make sense to give the quick brief to everyone.
    So does that mean you are interested in volunteering to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Personally I'm interested in Image of the Week feature. How it can be implemented? Is there a suitable module for the site or we have to develop it?
    Well I would develop the Image of the Week page and the submissions forum, giving it access to registered PGD members only. That would be easily done. We would then use a PHP widget to display that image of the week and a link to submit to it from within the widget box. This creates a new feature of the site while not altering the functionality of the site's core software.

I suppose I could make a sort of clip of code so that others could embed our Pascal Image of the Week on their personal sites too. Much like YouTube or Vimeo does.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder