Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Lets face it making RPGs is kind of boring anyways from a software developers point of view. Once you get through all the interesting code for the more interesting mechanics, you're stuck with only the dull stuff remaining. That's not even taking int account the need for massive amounts of asset and content afterwards. Nope RPGs and MMOs are just a bad first project that only hinder your fun and education in the game dev world.
Will I asume you are atlking about old school RPG-s (guiding a character - avatar trough multiple quests, obtaining items, improving the character by gaining expirience etc.). Yes I agree that making a old school RPG can become dull after some time but if you do a mix between RPG and some other genre you make programing hte whole thing much more interestingand the filan product would probably be even more enjoyable to play.
How many of you has aready played one of the X-Com games? I belive that many of you has. So if I ask you what genre the X-Com is, what will be your answer? Mos of you would probably say "tactical squad managment". But I will say "mix between strategy and RPG".
Yes X-Com has every aspects of RPG in it. You caontrol character, actualy a whole squad of characters. Theese characters can evolve by gaining expirience, they can gather and use items, etc. And you can see each mison as a seperate quest. Infact the words quest and mision has exactly the same meaning.
So Will how many times had you desire to make somethink similar than X-Com?

Now I won't lie that making such a game isn't dificult. It is werry dificult, but it can still be fun doing it.
I do agre that making such a game isn't the best choice for a beginer in game development. The main reason for this is that it requres a lot of programing, before there is anything to see. So many pepole might lose interest in it becouse even after a lot of work on it they might not have muc to show off.