Thread: Text based Rpg Game - Mayley's Story: Nots of a Champion

[Feedback wanted]Rpg Game - Test V1 released

Mayley's Story : Notes of a Champion

So after getting bored over the weekend i have endorsed on an adventure to code my own little text based game for some entertainment when i get bored, but also to fill my spare time up.

This page will be used as a to-do list but also to post updates and diary entries.

[spoiler]18/12/2011:
    Began work on the game properly. Started the skeleton code of what i want to happen and hows it going to happen.
    Talking to reqium we sorted out the name - Mayley's Story : Notes of a Champion
    Continuation after 2 hours sleep and 12 hours rest.
    The Combat system is at a half decent step. I'm having trouble getting the random damage for mobs to calculate properly and the advancement of player damage when leveling up which is causing a slight problem as damage is predictable in turn making fights easy. On another note i was able to get a mob declaration system sorted as to where you can increase the amount of mobs you would like to add into the game.
    The Leveling System is done with thanks to a friend who supplied me with some simple maths at 6:00am for me to level the stats up with 5 lines of program for as many levels as i wish instead of manually defining it. We also implemented a resting system where the player can check out his/her stats and restore hp.

In addition to this while at work today i was thinking about a proper stat system for the player where they can add attributes to certain skills which would affect the default attributes, as well as this i thought about having races that would come with attribute bonus'. I also pondered on the thought of having an armour system to reduce the amount of damage taken from each attack type.[/spoiler]

Update 12/01/2012
    So today after several weeks of exams i have been able to get back into my game. Finally finished the combat system that'll be used in my questing system i'm going to be using but is still in development - It will incorporate 5 or 6 progression quests with 1 or 2 repeatable quests to level up, not really sure what i plan on doing with the quests other than having story development and mob fights. Other than that yeah

Test version 2

Red - Mostly complete or finished
    Green - Started
    Blue - Not started
    Todo:
    Combat
    Leveling
    Resting
    Mobs
    Player allocated Atributes

Quests

Quest
    Items
    Potions
    Saving
    Last edited by Mayley; 12-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Great!

Will you use a game-engine? If you don't may be you can look the Pokemon Clone.
    No signature provided yet.

ill think about it. I have next to no real experience with pascal other than console applications which is what we are currently using.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to PGD.

I'd recommend finishing you text-based RPG before going onto trying your hand at graphics. However when you do, and this is from over 7 years of experience seeing new game programmers join the community, start with a clone of one of the classics. RPGs and those neat MMOs that everyone plays these days when done in a visual medium take tons and tons of resources to accomplish. This is why they are known as new programmer killers.

If you are serious about making games you'll need to start with small fun projects to start. You wouldn't believe the amounts of creativity that will come from tweaking and adding features to a pong/breakout game or some other simple variation on the classics.

Also be sure to check out some of the great stuff done by students over at http://www.pp4s.co.uk/ Lots of great examples and lessons there for getting into games programming.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Ok the site at the moment just browsing.

Update:
    The Combat system is at a half decent step. I'm having trouble getting the random damage for mobs to calculate properly and the advancement of player damage when leveling up which is causing a slight problem as damage is predictable in turn making fights easy. On another note i was able to get a mob declaration system sorted as to where you can increase the amount of mobs you would like to add into the game.
    The Leveling System is done with thanks to a friend who supplied me with some simple maths at 6:00am for me to level the stats up with 5 lines of program for as many levels as i wish instead of manually defining it. We also implemented a resting system where the player can check out his/her stats and restore hp.

In addition to this while at work today i was thinking about a proper stat system for the player where they can add attributes to certain skills which would affect the default attributes, as well as this i thought about having races that would come with attribute bonus'. I also pondered on the thought of having an armour system to reduce the amount of damage taken from each attack type.
    Last edited by Mayley; 18-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.

nice stuff, im a newcomer and n00b to programming too and i was wondering if maybe there was a way to apply graphics to that later in some way

anyways, keep it up, seems like you are doing fine

monster kill counter doesnt work- dunno if its a bug

I have no idea how to add graphics i'm looking it up as for the monster counter ill work on it.

Update 12/01/2012
    So today after several weeks of exams i have been able to get back into my game. Finally finished the combat system that'll be used in my questing system i'm going to be using but is still in development - It will incorporate 5 or 6 progression quests with 1 or 2 repeatable quests to level up, not really sure what i plan on doing with the quests other than having story development and mob fights. Other than that yeah

Newest version

http://www.mediafire.com/?k2apld6t8c2zti8

Blog Entries
    Glad to see that game is progressing. I'd really recommend that you offer a zip or rar file instead of a direct exe though. As all things internet go, an uncompressed exe file is put up to the maximum of suspicion as many forms of malware and viruses are distributed this way.

Also why not make a video of your game running in a terminal/console? I understand that it's only text-based, but it can still be of benefit to have a video showing your work and YouTube accounts are free.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

well, i dont really care about my computer so i downloaded the .exe i could be running DDoS attacks to the FBI for all i know

i see you got rid of the monster counter, now everything is working although there is some grammar errors like theif instead of thief and damge instead of damage. Also you forgot to format how the real type variables are displayed when leveling up "show stats"

here are some suggestions: use the clrscr function to clean the screen after every action to keep the litter low and ask the user if they want to continue fighting or not when a monster is defeated