View Poll Results: What are your top 3 favorite "classic" game genre?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Person Shooter (Doom, Medal of Honour)

14 48.28%
  • Real Time Strategy (StarCraft, Command & Conquer)

18 62.07%
  • Side-Scrolling Platformer/Shooter (Super Mario Bros, Contra, Mega Man, Castlevania)

8 27.59%
  • Point-and-Click Adventure (Quest for Glory, Secret of Monkey Island)

7 24.14%
  • Role Playing Game (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest)

11 37.93%
  • Economy Management Games (Sim City, Populus)

9 31.03%
  • Sports Simulation (Racing, Hockey, Baseball)

5 17.24%
  • Squad-based Combat (X-COM, Jagged Alliance)

3 10.34%
  • Puzzle (Tetris, Loom)

3 10.34%
  • Other... (Tell us!)

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your Top 3 Game Genre?

Blog Entries

Question What's your Top 3 Game Genre?

It seems these days that most games tend to fall into all too familiar gameplay mechanics. Remember the days when the hardware was much more limited and gameplay creativity was at a higher level than it seems to be now in commercial games?

Well thankfully "retro" or "classic" are the cool new catchphrases these days that are making commercial publishers consider older game genre from the big hits of the 80s and 90s. Added to that sites like Kickstarter are allowing indie developers to go back into those other genre that was said to be "dead" and are creating great projects to bring them back using today's new standards and operating systems.

What was your top 3 favorite game genre from back when until now?

I probably could have come up with more genres, however there is a limit of 10 poll options.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

These days the genre isn't my criterion I play about everything, but the key factor is the length of the play "sessions", ie. 10-20 minutes sessions, preferably on a mobile platform (during transit). Game without ability to save at any time, or with fixed savepoints too far apart are no longer practical...

I also like space sims (like Freelancer) and flight sims (Flighgear, Ace Combat). I guess that would be the simulation genre. A lot of games these days also combine genres together, so a lot of games I like could not fit into a single genre (e.g. Mass Effect). One of the favorite things which I can't play on the PC is Gran Turismo, which is also a racing simulator. So I guess my top 3 genres would be first person shooters(or 3rd person), RPGs and simulation games, but I would not limit myself just to these.

I don't think there is really a favourite genre of mine, but judging on the amount of games played, I'd have to say simply "shooter" - be it first person (Serious Sam, Crysis 2), third person (Rune, Jedi Knight II) or side view (Iji, Soldat). Most of these games do not require much thinking, allowing to either plow effortlessly through hundreds of monsters or engage in quick skirmishes with small groups of enemies - a perfect way to just turn your brain off for a moment, forget about everything and get relieved of stress. Generally I'd even review "shooter" to "anything that provides some good action and allows you to kick some ass" - this would include e.g. space sims - Freespace 2 was simply glorious.

Second... RPGs, I think. Exploring the world (yep, I gotta say I'm attracted to sandboxes), developing character (create someone You cannot be in the real world! or someone You could be, if You only had more balls!), making choices, interacting, blah, blah, blah.

Third would be strategies. I've played more real-time than turn-based, but well, both subgenres have good and bad titles. As anything.

And as for X-COM, that game is pretty much immortal. I've downloaded it recently after seeing a fan-art of sorts - and whoa, once again I kinda disappeared from this world for a few days.

I like decent simulation games. Unfortunatly many games nowadays have "Simulation" in their title but are far from being simulaton (poor reality). If I would have to name a few games I would say "King of the Road" aka. "HardTruck 2" for trucking simulation, "Live for Speed" for racing simulation, and "Flight Unlimited 3" for flying simulation.
    I also like strategy games a lot. (Warcraft series, Settlers series, Sim City series, City XL, Outpost 2, etc.)
    I do like squad based tactical games especialy SciFi themed (X-Com seires, UFO Extraterestial, UFO Alien Invasion - still in development).

Anywhay in games I value good gameplay (smoth controls, decent lenght, good replayability) over the state of the art graphics. Unfortunatly there are many games where developers spent a long time making superb graphics and in the end forget about the gameplay. Also if we talk about simulation games I demand for them to be as realistic as posible.

aww such a nice list then putting "Squad-based Combat" at the end :/
    its turn based strategy and like real time strategy its a subcategory of the strategy genre
    simulations go in one hand too, point and click counts under adventure games
    you asked about "classic" genre just want to clear thinks up

since most games today are crossover titles its hard to pick but i think my fav keymechanics are RPGs, FPS (only multiplayer part) and Platformer
    but i really play any game i get on my hands to analyze graphicstyle, coremechanics and so on

Turn-based strategy games (Panzer General, Civilization, Hearts of Iron) is my favorite genre.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

RPG: Skyrim, WoW, Startrek online...
    RTS: Starcraft 2, Total Annihilation, Master of Orion 2
    FPS: Hmm.. not many lately, but some good ones Quake 1&2, Unreal Tournament

Sometimes definition of FPS and RPG can get blurred a bit. Many RPG games are from first or 3rd person view.

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry Space/Flight Sim(Wing Commander, Flight Simulator X), 4X(Civilization, Master of Magic) and Hack-n-Slash(Diablo, Dungeon Siege) categories. I had no more room.

Then there is other more recent ones (as in the last decade or so) like 3rd person platformers/shooters, user generated content/sandbox games(newest I believe), Party games, MMOs and so on. Since I had so little room for selections I decided to stick with the more classic game genres since there are many that have almost been forgotten by the industry these days. Makes me happy to see companies like Double Fine and 2 Player Productions willing to make new games in and older genre. Of course I always love seeing a new genre unfold with those titles that seem to defy what the industry is doing currently.

X-COM was awesome! I specially liked Jagged Alliance and am sorely disappointed that they didn't port the new one to the Mac or at least bring it to the consoles so I can play it. Bumber!

I find that I'm a little like Eric these days myself. I have a whole collection of PS3 games that I find I don't play much, but intend to fully someday soon. Some aren't even out of the package yet and I bought them when I got my machine a few x-mas' ago. lol
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Daikrys View Post
    aww such a nice list then putting "Squad-based Combat" at the end :/
    its turn based strategy and like real time strategy its a subcategory of the strategy genre
    Squad-based Combat doesn't necessary need to be turnbased but can also be realtime (take a look into X-Com 3 Apocalipse). Also Squad-based Combat is a mixture between strategy either turnbased or realtime and RPG. Members of your squad actualy evolve during the game, if they arent kiled obviously, they gain expirience, their stats improve etc. Actualy the mentioned fetures are core of any RPG styled game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast