View Poll Results: What are your top 3 favorite "classic" game genre?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Person Shooter (Doom, Medal of Honour)

14 48.28%
  • Real Time Strategy (StarCraft, Command & Conquer)

18 62.07%
  • Side-Scrolling Platformer/Shooter (Super Mario Bros, Contra, Mega Man, Castlevania)

8 27.59%
  • Point-and-Click Adventure (Quest for Glory, Secret of Monkey Island)

7 24.14%
  • Role Playing Game (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest)

11 37.93%
  • Economy Management Games (Sim City, Populus)

9 31.03%
  • Sports Simulation (Racing, Hockey, Baseball)

5 17.24%
  • Squad-based Combat (X-COM, Jagged Alliance)

3 10.34%
  • Puzzle (Tetris, Loom)

3 10.34%
  • Other... (Tell us!)

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your Top 3 Game Genre?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Squad-based Combat doesn't necessary need to be turnbased but can also be realtime (take a look into X-Com 3 Apocalipse). Also Squad-based Combat is a mixture between strategy either turnbased or realtime and RPG. Members of your squad actualy evolve during the game, if they arent kiled obviously, they gain expirience, their stats improve etc. Actualy the mentioned fetures are core of any RPG styled game.
    but squad based combat is no "classic" genre its a crossover of strategie and most often roleplaying elements, but yeah since i think of fallout tactics it dont have to be turn based

EDIT: oh and Will you asked about "classic" genre so crossovers dont count
    and the Others... button leave enough freedom

basicly there wasnt a real FPS or TPS genre they where subgenre of the big "action" genre but i dont like the definition "action" better put shooter in a single genre cause there much subgenre in shooter themself

back in my studies there was a big discussion about classic genre and we kinda sort out a list we could live with
    Last edited by Daikrys; 23-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmm... Looks like some genres are beginning to pull away from the pack

And shouldn't that read medal of honor - not metal of honour?
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    And shouldn't that read medal of honor - not metal of honour?
    Yes it should. I fixed it now.

Blog Entries
    My bad, thanks SilverWarior! ...but then, how do you know I didn't mean a totally different game?

It's funny, but the polls (right now) do seem to somewhat reflect what the current trend in commercial games are today. RTS on top, then FPS. RPG is third. Getting further down it's Economy 4th and Side-scrolling 5th while 6th is Point-and-Click. Some anomalies there, but for the most part what is strong today is still fairly strong from what we liked of the classics.

I do like seeing a few others in there doing well as the trendy stuff.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    It's funny, but the polls (right now) do seem to somewhat reflect what the current trend in commercial games are today. RTS on top, then FPS. RPG is third. Getting further down it's Economy 4th and Side-scrolling 5th while 6th is Point-and-Click. Some anomalies there, but for the most part what is strong today is still fairly strong from what we liked of the classics.
    Offcourse it reflects the current trends becouse they are actualy the same for the past deckade. I belive the main reason for this is the fact that most game developers (indie or buig game developers) focus only on those games wich would alow them to earn as much money as fast as they can. But verry few tries to do something uniqe.
    I personaly belive that something uniqe has much biger potential these day in all this flod of games wich mostly looks a like. Take a look at Minecraft for instance. It is omething uniqe at the market and it's is becoming more and more popular every day.
    Also Minecraft is perfect examplle that good gameplay is more inportant than perfect graphics. But nowadays it seems that most comercial games stil just compete wich one would have best graphics. The result of this are sequels for once excelent games wich are basicly ruined today (take C&C for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    My bad, thanks SilverWarior! ...but then, how do you know I didn't mean a totally different game? :-)
    There is no game Meta of Honour or alteast google doesn't know about it. :-)

Blog Entries
    Offcourse it reflects the current trends becouse they are actualy the same for the past deckade. I belive the main reason for this is the fact that most game developers (indie or buig game developers) focus only on those games wich would alow them to earn as much money as fast as they can. But verry few tries to do something uniqe.
    I personaly belive that something uniqe has much biger potential these day in all this flod of games wich mostly looks a like. Take a look at Minecraft for instance. It is omething uniqe at the market and it's is becoming more and more popular every day.
    Also Minecraft is perfect examplle that good gameplay is more inportant than perfect graphics. But nowadays it seems that most comercial games stil just compete wich one would have best graphics. The result of this are sequels for once excelent games wich are basicly ruined today (take C&C for instance).
    And that's kind of sad. I am however happy to see some of that turning around, but not so much in main-stream commercial game studios, but smaller and more indie developers. I love how people are embracing these pioneers of newer game play. While the big guys are trying to reuse their FPS and 3rd person action/adventure engines, indies are taking a piece of the gamer pie themselves by doing some new things. And they are doing well by it. Even old classics are making a comeback (some done right, some done not so right, but you can easily tell which is which)

I think many gamers crave new gameplay so they will be willing to spend on things like Notches pay for beta and get the full version free and the Humble Indie Bundles and even Kickstarter projects that look promising.

Some of the great things I've seen over the last bit: (not Pascal that I know of, but still)
    • FTL (it's been called a rouge-like / economy game, you run a ship with a crew and manage them and the parts, etc just like the TV show Firefly!)
      • You can still get in on the Kickstarter!

• Double Fine Adventure; old school Point-and-Click Adventure game (like they used to make - some big publisher screwing it up. backed by P&C fans! Rob Gilber involved!)
      • Sorry, this one ended, but it was successful!

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad & PC, BG2 will be released after (original + expansion + new content + "reforged" infinity engine + some of the original BG devs!)
    • And of course, I started playing Minecraft myself!

There is no game Meta of Honour or alteast google doesn't know about it. :-)
    Well maybe there should be. Canadian HTML takes on the enemies of the free world... like SOPA!

cuz, this one is awesome to watch from a developer's point of view!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

How come I havent stumbled to FTL jet. It sems verry good.

When I thought about this, there are hardly any generally "good genres" in my world. A really good game is good in any genre. But I did miss a few in the list:

- Card/board games implemented on computer. (Chess, Bridge, Mah-Jong etc.)
    - Small diversion games like the classic 2D games.
    - Programmer's games. (PRobots, ChipWitz, Core Wars...)
    - Turn-based strategy games. (I prefer them a lot over real-time ones which tend to be all about clicking the right commands fast enough).

Ther appears to have been an oversight no Turn-based strategy

Civ, Warlords, Panzer General, Fanasy General, HOMM, Kings Bounty.

I am surprised RTS is so high as it has become a niche genre.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast