Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd PGD Challenge Questions!

Can we post any game? even if it is text based and not so complex and pro-ish ?

The game must fit the competition rules http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ge-The-Journey
    One of the major rules in this competition is that you need to make your game in a way for player to be able to travel between different locations. These locations have to be designed in a way so that it is abolutly clear for player to se that those are indeed different locations.
    I belive it could be posible to achieve this with text based game but I doubt it will be easy. But on the other thought it might be easier than expected.
    So if you wish to try go ahead you have nothing to lose.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 08-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well a simple way could be to have each new 'location' a different text colour and change the text color when they arrive there. Then to establish that you are in a new location, you could print off "Welcome to Planet Zoobo!" and continue off with your description and their list of choices, etc... Or if you are any good at ASCII art you could work some of that magic.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    It's funny though, SilverWarior does bring up an interesting point by mentioning the theme there. I'm finding that some teams are having a hard time sticking to theme. It's almost as if they want to make what they want to make and then force the theme into it. I guess that's just one angle to go at it from a creative stand-point. The other way could be to take the theme and think of a game that would be built around the theme. That was the intention for the challenges originally, but I guess not everyone can work that way.

Of course another reason could simply be that they are trying to work with their own established frameworks, engines and libraries they spent so much time on already. Fair enough, but it almost makes me want to do the next one where you have to do it from scratch.

Either way I wish everyone luck! There is just over 3 weeks left so don't let too many days go by.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    btw. Do the judges own gamepads?
    I do have an Xbox 360 controller, a Playstation 2 controller with an USB adapter and a cheap SNES like controller (http://www.konsolenkost.de/images/pr...46/4606627.jpg).

Last edited by WILL; 09-04-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Uploaded image from my computer. :)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    Jim just passed me the word that he does not have a gamepad.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    btw. Do the judges own gamepads?
    I don't have one, but I am not opposed to picking one up. Haven't used one in a long time. Been a die hard keyboarder (hard to get that many keys on a gamepad.)

What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by smexhy View Post
    Can we post any game? even if it is text based and not so complex and pro-ish ?
    I think a text-based adventure game could easily fit the theme. Text descriptions of different locations can also describe different locations. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I'm finding that some teams are having a hard time sticking to theme. It's almost as if they want to make what they want to make and then force the theme into it. I guess that's just one angle to go at it from a creative stand-point.
    Well, I picked my game genre based on time availability and complexity, given the time frame all content-based genres were out given I don't have anyone working on the graphics or level design (that eliminates RPG, FPS, platformers, hand-tuned puzzles...), that left reflex (shooters), random-puzzle and level-scaled/grind games. Given that my last one was basically a shooter, and I had no original idea for a random-puzzle games...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Fair enough, but it almost makes me want to do the next one where you have to do it from scratch.
    I'm starting completely from scratch this time, in a way it's nice and unencumbered, no library, no game engine, bare-bones RTL, open horizons! but on the other, hand, it's a little "too scratch", I'm making up even the 2D vector stuff and sin/cos caching as I go, been a while since I last had to write those ;-)

I just got home very late last night from my holiday, and had to unpack and clean up today so I have had little time to think about my entry

I am thinking of using Oxygene for Java for my entry...is anyone else using Oxygene in this competition yet?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast