Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: 2nd PGD Challenge: The Journey

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    There's something not clear to me, you mean 3 different location and optionaly 5 extra location or 3 location + 2 extras?
    he means 3 needed and additional 5 can be made so total of 8 locations to score maximium points
    cause 5 locations = 20bonus points and bonus means optional

EDIT: huh? dont saw User137's post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What is System 2) for Jim? or off-by-one error? ;-)

No mobile platforms? (iPad, Android, etc.)
    Sorry I skipped a number. 2 was unlucky or something.

No, iOS is a bit tricky since distribution requires fees and time to post on the iTunes App Store, add to that the judges would have all the headaches of trying to setup on their end with all the other games too. No, it's not practical for this competition. And no Android simply because of the variety of device screen sizes and the fact that they judges don't both have them. So no mobile devices this time around.

Though if you guys really want to do a mobile development competition, you can pony up the cash for 2 devices and shipping fees and we can arrange to have 2 bought and shipped to the judges for that event.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    There's something not clear to me, you mean 3 different location and optionaly 5 extra location or 3 location + 2 extras?
    Ok you must make at least 3 locations as a bare minimum. Then if you want to go for the extra bonus points at 5 points each, you can make up to 5 extra locations to get a maximum of 25 points for all 5 extra locations.

You can do more than 8 in total, but you will not get extra bonus points over the 5 awarded extra location bonuses.

So example: 3 + 3(extra) = 15 bonus points

Another example: 3(required) + 5(extra) + any_amount(even more levels) = 25 bonus points max.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Since this event revolves around traveling to new locations, you'd obviously have to choose where you are going somehow and since I've included a BONUS for the ability to revisit previous locations later on in the same playthough, I've posted this thread to give you some ideas of how you can do your level/location/travel selection.

Check it out here.

Remember that to be able to REvisit locations in your game is a single 20 points bonus, not for each.

Hmm, took a look at http://www.remobjects.com/trials.aspx
    3rd rule prohibits you from distributing anything created with the trial version so you'll need a full version of oxygene if you want the free copy of oxygene for java.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    Hmm, took a look at http://www.remobjects.com/trials.aspx
    3rd rule prohibits you from distributing anything created with the trial version so you'll need a full version of oxygene if you want the free copy of oxygene for java.
    Nope! I cleared this with Jim McKeeth and Marc Hoffmann himself. If the CEO of the company agrees, that's a pretty high up as you can get it. You can upload the tril version of your game to the PGD Challenge's FTP server for this competition. Besides if you do release a game using it, you will have a legal copy of the development tool so you can recompile and distribute it all you like from there.

Marc was really great about it. He heard what I had to say in our talk and he embraced the idea so you are safe for using the trial for this competition!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I've spoken with marc hoffman about this, and everyone is cleared to use the trial versions for this. Consider this an official exception. If you need an email or something to that extent for your lawyers feel free to email sales at RemObjects.

I wish be able to join, but I'm still working on my game engine and my IDE for pascal. I have a good idea, but no time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FelipeFS View Post
    I wish be able to join, but I'm still working on my game engine and my IDE for pascal. I have a good idea, but no time...
    Unless you are getting paid for your IDE and game engine, I don't see why you couldn't put it on hold for the competition? Game engine's are great, but creating a game engine for multiple uses can be a slow process. Writing code specific to a single game is a lot quicker and you'll find that a whole "engine" is really not necessary to make a good game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Sounds like fun - since I just got the theme, its brainstorm time!

FelipeFS, code_glitch; more people, more fun.
    No signature provided yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast