Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momen 3d

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That looks cool. Nice work. For small objects you can make a sphere or bounding box collision detection. As for the big ships I don't know.

Small ship to big ship can be done with sphere to triangle-mesh collision. At least my nxPascal can calculate nearest point on a model and a normal at that point. You may use the information for collision.

Big ship to big ship might need triangle to triangle collision, which might be much harder to implement, and slower.
    edit: Actually vertex to triangle would be enough in most cases. Just don't have the polygons so big that ship section could pass through them.
    Last edited by User137; 12-04-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Mayby can be used ellipsoids for easy collision detection of large ships ?

Nice start.

I too would say not to worry too much about accurate collisions for the challenge, as this can be a time-waster in ho-so-many many ways, go with ellipsoids ;-)

I did a basic collision system. It uses both bounding sphere and bounding box and you can select one or another as your wish. I've also fixed some of my Math3D unit functions (for example, it didn't normalized vectors correctly and it did draw stars instead of spheres) and now the octree is updated when you move objects.
    As you see I've also changed the camera motion.

Now the game engine is almost complete. If I can add an height-map scenery object and the mission loader then I'll be "on time".

Right now I don't know how I'll do the HUD, and game needs some kind of radar system because it's hard to find the objectives.
    No signature provided yet.

Easy work but a lot of things done. Moved some stuff from an unit to another unit, fixing some bad-desinged stuff...

Now I can shoot small icy cubes. Also I've found an old utility I did to create landscapes. It was written in C and it generates nice sceneries like this:

This week-end I'll add an height-map object for the "planet missions" and create the first AI-ships.

And I've post my advances here too, as Will suggested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Paul.

I've lost the week-end with a height-map system. The problem was that I tried to link it with the octree and use the octree for culling and collision, but I did something wrong because it wasn't works. Finally I changed my mind and now it worked:

Also I've discovered that maps created by my plasma program didn't look nice in 3D, but that doesn't bother me ATM.

So I'm again out-of-time. BTW there are a few things to do before to start the gameplay itself: 2D sprites (for explosions, smoke...) and write text on screen (for GUI, scoring...).
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 16-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.

I think the plasma still looks good in the screenshot and I really love the planet in the background

A lot of things done, but there's a lot of things that should be done.

For example, I'm having problems because the engine isn't well designed (as I said, it's a dirty engine ) so it needs to be refactored (is it the correct spelling? ) but obviously I have no time now. Anyway I'm happy with the results and I've learned a lot.

A big trouble is that I can't make it run in Windows. I'm sure the problem is my Allegro's to Pascal wrapper, but I can't fix it now. Anyway Linux can deal with it (which makes the Windows issues more bizarre).

Here you have a solo fighting. You can see the title screen, the AI in action, the radar and the targeting device, which makes things a lot easer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast