Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Momen 3d

Nice start.

I too would say not to worry too much about accurate collisions for the challenge, as this can be a time-waster in ho-so-many many ways, go with ellipsoids ;-)

I did a basic collision system. It uses both bounding sphere and bounding box and you can select one or another as your wish. I've also fixed some of my Math3D unit functions (for example, it didn't normalized vectors correctly and it did draw stars instead of spheres) and now the octree is updated when you move objects.
    As you see I've also changed the camera motion.

Now the game engine is almost complete. If I can add an height-map scenery object and the mission loader then I'll be "on time".

Right now I don't know how I'll do the HUD, and game needs some kind of radar system because it's hard to find the objectives.
    No signature provided yet.

Easy work but a lot of things done. Moved some stuff from an unit to another unit, fixing some bad-desinged stuff...

Now I can shoot small icy cubes. Also I've found an old utility I did to create landscapes. It was written in C and it generates nice sceneries like this:

This week-end I'll add an height-map object for the "planet missions" and create the first AI-ships.

And I've post my advances here too, as Will suggested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Paul.

I've lost the week-end with a height-map system. The problem was that I tried to link it with the octree and use the octree for culling and collision, but I did something wrong because it wasn't works. Finally I changed my mind and now it worked:

Also I've discovered that maps created by my plasma program didn't look nice in 3D, but that doesn't bother me ATM.

So I'm again out-of-time. BTW there are a few things to do before to start the gameplay itself: 2D sprites (for explosions, smoke...) and write text on screen (for GUI, scoring...).
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 16-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.

I think the plasma still looks good in the screenshot and I really love the planet in the background

Actually the landscape of the screenshot wasn't created by my plasma program. I found it on the Internet a lot of years ago in Geocities (IIRC) so I can't give the actual credits for it.

BTW I've found that I can use my plasma to create a rough terrain description and then use The Gimp to fix the height-map layer.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    I think the plasma still looks good in the screenshot and I really love the planet in the background
    I am more interested in the terrain, but the skybox is nice too. And skyboxes aren't very easy to make. I tried making some for the previous challenge, but ended up using an existing one that didn't have any visible seams at the edges.

Today I've added an "Explosion object" and some sound. Also I've compiled and tested it on Windows (I was coding on Linux) and it runs reasonably fast in my old PentiumIV, since I didn't optimized anything from the engine (except the octree for objects, and I think I can do it "better") and I forget to use -O3! So once I optimize the engine may be you can play in a PentiumIII...

Then I did some cleaning on my code so tomorrow I'll start with the "mission description" and AI. So two weeks to code the UI and create the game missions. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    I am more interested in the terrain, but the skybox is nice too. And skyboxes aren't very easy to make. I tried making some for the previous challenge, but ended up using an existing one that didn't have any visible seams at the edges.
    The problem with skyboxes is to create the texture. Render it is quite easy. I just draw a 10x10x10 cube with rotation and no translation (and no Z-Buffer, no fog, etc).

If you have problems with it, I can post the code here.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 17-04-2012 at 07:27 PM.

I've used GW-BASIC to study an algorithm I've stolen from Shawn Hargreaves' Marauder. BTW Marauder is written in C++. This disqualifies me from the competition?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast