Thread: Heightmap Terrain flicker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i use depth format D3DFMT_D24X8, as for the size, it is 32x32 vertices scaled by 1500, i tried having the scaling very small and it was exactly the same problem, however i tried changing the near/far clipping plane and this seems to do the trick so thanks, what do you think would be a good value for these both?
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

the difference between the near and far plane should be as small as possible. I normally try not to go over 1000

excellent thanks, i will keep that in mind

about the landscape upside down, that is because i temporarily disabled culling, and the camera is starting below the surface, you can just fly up above the geometry - it is intended just for testing with for now
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

dont mind if I show off my landscape here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

that looks pretty good - i have moved onto texture splatting now, once i finish with multi-texturing my terrain, i will re-post also

seems i have broken something, i can't understand why this is happening, my code for loading raw heightmaps is as follows:

Code:
      SetLength(vertices, F_Vertices);
      iVertices := 0;
      AssignFile(f, filename);
      Reset(f, 1);

// Loop across and up
      for iy := 0 to F_VertsY-1 do begin
        for ix := 0 to F_VertsX-1 do begin
          BlockRead(f, height, 1);

// Create the verts
          vertices[iVertices].x := (ix*tScale);
          vertices[iVertices].y := height*tHeight;
          vertices[iVertices].z := (iy*tScale);

vertices[iVertices].u := ix;
          vertices[iVertices].v := iy;

Inc(iVertices);
        end;
      end;

CloseFile(f);
    I have not changed anything since last night regarding heightmaps, but today it is doing some weird sheeat

screenshot >

any ideas?

Never mind, seems my heightmap was corrupt

new screenshot >

Last edited by Colin; 01-04-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: My Mistake

looks much better than the first version
    how are you doing the texture blending? (vertex mask? texture mask? do you use layers or blend the textures in a single pass?)