Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Network Library

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by igmac View Post
    MMO definitely
    You realize the "faux pas" behind MMO projects by small developers, right?

Why does my skin crawl when a new member's first project is a huge MMO or RPG...

Well I'll save the long discussion, because I don't want to take your thread too far off-topic, but here is a link to a very recent discussion about this very matter. I hope it helps, even only if to a degree. (Since I don't know what your project is supposed to be exactly in all fairness.)

There is no problem with the MO part, but any hobbyist developer should steer WAY clear away from huge amounts of content/asset requirements. They are project killers.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Couldn't agree more Will. Content generation is a huge issue, and one I sail as close to the wind as possible to get away with. ie, don't do it if you can remotely do without it. I've done enough 3D design to know that even small content can take a week per item, and 'main objects' can take many weeks.

Fortunately, I have extensive experience in bringing projects from inception to completion, albeit in a different market - business software. Though now I think about it I did write two games to completion many years ago when I first learnt programming. A 'breakout' game (you know, bricks, a paddle and a ball to smash the bricks with) and a pinball game. Both on the old TRS-80 series which I would be most surprised to discover anyone here knows about :-)

Anyway, my focus is on the engine, not the graphics (the time sucker). One day, many years from now, I might tackle the MMORPG scene with a large team, and a large budget, but not today.

For now, I'm satisfied with the blue squares that attack the red squares :-)

Where I have spent some time over the past years is the AI, and that proved quite a tough nut to crack. However, I have that under my belt now, and even though I wrote the game, know the code, know the moves, I find the AI extremely challenging.

What I'm aiming at is probably very much like an online version of Falcon 4 in some ways, maybe a bit of 'Dangerous Waters' in others, and even a little of 'Aces High' in others. It involves a form of aerial combat as it's main focus.

From this you might gather that it's what one might call 'content sparse' when compared to an WoW type project. Which is exactly why I've chosen it :-)

On a slight tangent - is anyone here actually working on a land based (ie, terrain, trees, foliage, plants, rocks) type of project? I did open source a handful of content, including about 5 or so very good to acceptable plants - all low poly. Because if anyone is, I can go scrounge it up from my archives and re-post it somewhere as the location I originally posted it to seems to have gone the way of the Dodo.

I've also got a slightly interesting landscape POC for a BF3 type terrain (ie, single mega pre-calculated terrain mapping) with foliage, mist, trees and octree occlusion culling etc if anyone is working on that sort of thing. I don't have characters, but the POV does hug the terrain. It doesn't have collision detection for trees or rocks though, so you can 'walk' through them as it stands. Anyway, just mentioning because it came to mind as I wrote this :-)

Quote Originally Posted by igmac View Post
    Fortunately, I have extensive experience in bringing projects from inception to completion, albeit in a different market - business software. Though now I think about it I did write two games to completion many years ago when I first learnt programming. A 'breakout' game (you know, bricks, a paddle and a ball to smash the bricks with) and a pinball game.
    Please forgive my curiosity, but can you describe some of the business software that you have worked on?

Rather than hijack this thread - http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ked-on&p=83792

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    That will probably prove useful thanks 137

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12