Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planet texture generation code

You mention heightmaps, from which I gather it's not a planetary view? So am I correct in assuming that you are actually generating a terrain map rather than a planet map? Something for close up view where you only ever see a very small portion of the terrain at any given time?

My wish is to have both, but for the moment I concentrate more on planetary view.
    Also after doing some research I see that perlin noise can come in handy in other fields aswell, even for things that I wasn't even planing before.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    for the moment I concentrate more on planetary view.
    http://mygimptutorial.com/the-ultima...lanet-tutorial

That works pretty good for a spite type view. If you're looking for a cylindrical projection to wrap around a sphere, maybe try Gimp and the phfluuh plugin. But I haven't tried that myself yet.

Lets me get something clear. I wan't to have planet texture generation capability inside my game so that I can generate necessary texture when I need them. For instance before entering star system for the first time. This is posible becouse traveling from one star system to another do takes some time.
    I did manage do make my own implementation of Perlin noise but unfortunatly my implementation is too slow. So if anybody of you guys have decent Perlin noise code I would apretiate if you could share it.

Good news I found a bug in my code wich was making it runs so damn slow. So now my implementation of perlin noise like algorithm works with decent speed.
    But since I now use Delphi random function it only generates me real numbers between 0 and 1 while original Perlin Noise algorithm uses real numbers from -1 to 1.
    So I was wondering if anybody of you have code for random number generator wich is capable of generating random numbers between -1 and 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    capable of generating random numbers between -1 and 1.
    r := random(2) - 1

Thanks guys but I already solved the problem.
    r := (Random -0.5) *2;

My Perlin noise like procedure is now done to the part that I can get mostly same results as from one of example programs I found on the web. No source code unfortunatly so I cant do any real speed comparison.
    I might do partial rewrite of it so it will give me more options for postprocessing. This way I belive to get much better results.
    But since I already spent more time on this than I expected I must postpone this for a while and start working on the rest of the game. Having best planet generation algorithm does me no good if I don't have a game in wich to use this algorithm.

Blog Entries
    How did it turn out?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sorry Will no pictures yet.
    There is still lot of work needed to be done in planet generation algorithm. Currently I would need to rewrite my Perline noise like procedure so that instead of generating 2D array of height points wich are then used for calculation rest of the heightpoints on the map it will fill some custom list, with custom objects each representing height point. But besides height this objects would also contain information for points relative position (probably just 3D point). This would alow me sorting them so that I would be able to easily divide my map into various height regions:
    1. LowestHeight to 0 = undersea area (mostly flat with smoth height variations)
    2. 0 to 15 = beach areas (nise eazy sloped beaches)
    3. 15 to 50 = plains (mostly flat with smoth height variations)
    4. 50 to 100 = lowlands (various smal hils)
    5. 100 to 150 = highlands (various larger hils and hil plathous)
    6. 150 to 200 = mountains (various mountains and mountain ranges)
    7. 200 to Max height = mountain peaks
    Besides making verry nice heightmas this will also provide me with good information to determine wich texture will be used where.
    If all would work as I imagined I should get verry realistic maps out of it. But as I sad before completing it would probably take another week time of work if not even more. So I'm afraid that you will have to wait some time after the competition to see my planet generation algorith finally in action.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast