Thread: Programs I've worked on

Programs I've worked on

Lifepower asked me in another thread about some of the programs I've worked on, so instead of hijacking that thread, I thought I'd put it in as a sort of introductory post in this forum, who's sticky post at the top indicates it's the right place :-)

ISAM (early 1980's)
    General Accounting (Debtors, Creditors, General Ledger, Stock Control)

DBF based (1980's)
    Wages & Salaries package
    Voter Registration & Logging

other (1980's)
    Breakout (game)
    Pinball (game)

SQL based (1990's)
    Records Management
    Vehicle Service & Maintenance

SQL based (2000's)
    Vehicle routing
    Service Contract Management & Debtors
    Debtors System (aka Accounts Receivables) - derived & extended from above
    Liquor Sales & Inventory Management

I've not worked on any other major systems since around early 2009, ie, the last 4 years since which I've been Technical Director for a company of 18 staff.

There was no need for separate thread as my question was related to your background for the development of project you are planning.

You mentioned that these applications were made in Pascal. Did you use FreePascal?

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I'm taking this off-topic thread off topic with this, but what sort of skills do you think are transferable to making games from doing business apps such as these?

I ask this because since Delphi has been transformed from a general programing tool to more of a big business/enterprise tool environment, yet it is still fully capable of making games with it, I'm wondering what other things from the business side of the coin could find it's way into a game dev side.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    You mentioned that these applications were made in Pascal. Did you use FreePascal?
    Ahh, no. Forgot to mention that. The ISAM was in Basic, DBF based was Clipper, Games were in Assember, but all the SQL ones (1990's) were in Delphi 2 onwards up to D7. Haven't used Delphi past D7. None of them were with Kylix or FPC/Lazarus.

I did work with Turbo Pascal & Delphi 1, but not on big projects. Likewise with C and C++, I know and have used them, as with Lazarus and FPC (command line stuff) but all those were just short projects.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    what sort of skills do you think are transferable to making games from doing business apps such as these?
    I suppose generally just the normal things you'll get from working in a particular language like general programming skill, documentation skill, clear coding, structure as relates to programming and design, a bit of the database side when dealing with persistence and game object management, multi-threading experience and robustness. Just general software industry experience makes a difference :-)