Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some ideas for level selection...

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Some ideas for level selection...

Hi folks, I figured I'd show you some ideas for level selection since there is a bit whopping bonus for being able to REvisit other locations after visiting them before. Here are some game videos to show off some ideas.

Clash at Demonhead (Interlinking Lane Selection)

Mega-Man (Select from a set of boxes)

Contra Hard Corps (Choose in-story interactive dialog choice)

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (Select from a given lost of travel options)

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (Completely connected world, no selection, free roaming allowed)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    I was kind of hoping that this thread would encourage discussion about ideas for your entries. Come out of your secret lairs and talk amoung each other guys!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

One of the ideas I was having for level selection would be some central place in a level, where a portal would allow the player to go to any other level already completed (a selection probably). This place would only be available after the main objective of the level is complete (e.g. a hidden door opens after defeating all the enemies, or solving a puzzle). I'm still not sure on the details since I've only just started working on my game today. This will allow free-roaming between levels, while still keeping levels separate.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I kinda liked the free-roaming style of gameplay from the old NES games. Free-roaming platform games seem to be a thing of the past.

I tried to create something similar using 'teleporters' for my own platform project, Cyber Crisis, but the project obviously didn't get too far. I may get boarded and pick it up later on.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In "William Shatner's TekWar" you can select the mission using the subway, and also there are a Virtual World. It was very original. Sad that the game were horrible* but had great ideas like the subway and the "almost inteligent" policemen and citizens.

Another pioneer game: "Catacomb". The first levels are pretty lineal but after lever 4 or 5 each level has two or more exits and the game became a 3D labyrinth.

* It was the first game made with Build, the engine used in Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood, and it was unfinished when they published TekWar...
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 02-04-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Adding a link
    No signature provided yet.

Unfortunately i'm not an artist Making games involving animated humanoid characters, especially common side scrolling game can be very challenging to make textures to. Overall designing an rpg game has much more work in it than would think from first glance.

Blog Entries
    Oh no, for this 4 week competition, I do not recommend something as big as an RPG. You could add RPG elements, but I wouldn't go full blown RPG.

There were a few genre types that I thought I'd see (and probably hoped to see) due to the theme; platformer is one, scrolling shooter is another. I would have loved to see another top-down too.

3D will be a challenge for this amount of time so for those who have taken up the 3D content challenge, good luck!

I know I'd be itching to try another game like Clash at Demonhead. That game rocked! The lane selection for travel was pretty cool and the fact that you had to visit different locations to find things was neat. Thn again I'd also love another Castlevania 2 type of game as well.

Keep in mind, I'm not judging this year so don't just go with what I'd like.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I think a scrolling shooter where the player can "travel" from one level to another can be an acceptable idea.

Or a Terra Cognita (http://www.mobygames.com/game/terra-cognita/screenshots) remake with different levels should be a good choice.

Will going back or replaying the locations (without selection) count as revisiting? Or should the locations be player-selectable to count for a revisit?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Will going back or replaying the locations (without selection) count as revisiting? Or should the locations be player-selectable to count for a revisit?
    Absolutely. You can do either, however to keep the world open and explorable, you'd have to have distinct locations within that world so they would be best to define them rather than leaving it up to the judges have to count them. As the rules state, they must be all distinct with their own visual style. So in the case of Castlevania 2 style play for example, you'd have to create 3 distinct looking areas or locations.

Example 1) You have a forrest, a village and a cave for example. You labeled each by having some text showing above when you arrived in each area.

Example 2) You have 3 different looking cities or towns, but the path connecting each is all forest or just something common to each. Again when you got to the town or cities a text label above or a city/town sign at the entrance showed that you were at it.

The idea is to define 3 locations which each have their different visual theme and figure out how to travel to/from each. How you go about it was left open so long as you have at least 3 locations minimum.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast