Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: War Trail

War Trail

Got the title for my entry, got the idea (a tower defense), got a ready-made map editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/), got some ready-made tilesets (http://www.lostgarden.com/2006/02/25...-textures.html), but... that's about it!

Obviously towers, monsters, missiles & UI will be quickly-made programmer art...
    Music & sounds may not happen, as finding good free ones takes a lot of time...

Target goals:
    - At least 3 maps + a world map where you can journey between level maps ;-)
    - HTML5 from Object Pascal via SmartMobileStudio/DWScript
    - Chrome (desktop) and Safari (iPad) as primary platforms, + IE9 if time permits. Is that okay for the judges?
    - 60 FPS, with lots of sprites and stuff on screen

Safari on Windows doesn't seem to have hardware acceleration, but if Safari on Mac should have it (but I don't have a Mac, so I can't test).
    FireFox doesn't seem to have hardware acceleration (or it's not good), so it's out.

Attached is the first map, taken in Tiled, where I used a vector layer to define the monster's paths.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Neat!

I like how you've shown good use of all the development tools. They really can make the difference when making your game!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Got the world map now, from http://www.fantasymapmaker.com/free-fantasy-maps/
    Positioned the locations "flags" directly in Tiled (where the map is a single big tile).

Gameplay coming along nicely, should have something to show in the next days :-)

Here is a "gameplay" screenshots, with some more programmer art and a new map (btw Tiled just plain rocks)

Most of the UI is not active yet, just pre-positionned, but monsters already follow the path, towers are tracking, firing and killing stuff.
    That said, to drop towers, you still have to edit the source code... hoping to get the drag'n drop done this week-end, then it should be "playable"

looks like you got a game soon. Looks good though I've used the same tileset myself before, so I will always see my own game when I see those tiles
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

That looks awesome. Would like to know how good the HTML5 gaming experience is.
    Will you be using particle-systems?

Too bad I couldn't join. Job and studies are consuming all my time.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    That looks awesome. Would like to know how good the HTML5 gaming experience is.
    On Chrome, IE9 & iPad, it's very reactive, the HTML5 canvas is very well accelerated. In many ways, it could handle more complex stuff.
    iPhone is smooth, but the game isn't designed for it, so you can't do much if you don't have tiny fingers

Will you be using particle-systems?
    Not really, explosions are sprites, though when you fill up the map with missile towers, the missiles and explosion make up a particle system of some sort...

A video just before I go to sleep. The playback rate is incorrect and stuttering for some reason.

The easy part (the code) is essentially done, now comes the hard part: maps, gameplay tweaks & level design, better art, sounds... some of it just won't make it for the deadline

Blog Entries
    That's time management old friend.

There is however the post-competition finish-up that everyone does. You may have just gotten your entry in and meeting the end goals by the skin of your teeth, but it's in. Now you get to finish off all those things on your list to consider it completed. It's kinda fun to see who can stick it out to finish off their entries.

Nice video, but you don't seem very good at your own game. That or you need to balance it a bit more in your favor.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast