Thread: sdl, gamepads, joysticks and forcefeedback

sdl, gamepads, joysticks and forcefeedback

I'm working on my project for PGD Challenge, and found a little stone in my shoes. Is it a way to use forcefeedbak with the SDL API only? or I need to hook some external library? my target is win32 and using delphi 2007 and jedi-sdl headers.

SDL does not have force feedback support. XInput (shipped with the DirectX headers) provides vibration/force feedback for XBox 360 gamepads.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    SDL does not have force feedback support. XInput (shipped with the DirectX headers) provides vibration/force feedback for XBox 360 gamepads.
    Looking for that feature, I found it will be included on newer SDL, but still v1.2.15 on win32 (maybe I didn't well my homework and there is a newer one I'm missing, but guess can't help I only have jedi headers 1.0 final rc2, not sure what this means but guessing again I think it only works with SDL 1.x) and you need other ways to get it working, the haptic subsystem is one of them (yet, a bit obscure and esoteric to me) and there is java driver (yuck!). I'm hoping it to works for generic gamepads, and to be honest not a main feature of my project, just wondering to have it as a bonus.

Blog Entries
    I believe that SDL 1.3 is the next major version of SDL that is in the works right now. Different licensing and whatnot. I'm assuming that there will be lots of changes applied to it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

SDL 1.2 definitely does not have force feedback support.
    For SDL 1.3/2.0 which is still in development, the developers are doing something along the lines of cross-platform force feedback support, but last time I checked (which was a while ago to be honest) it wasn't advanced and not fully usable.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I believe that SDL 1.3 is the next major version of SDL that is in the works right now. Different licensing and whatnot. I'm assuming that there will be lots of changes applied to it.
    The official site has v1.2.15 for download and a lot of other libraries, but nothing about v1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    SDL 1.2 definitely does not have force feedback support.
    For SDL 1.3/2.0 which is still in development, the developers are doing something along the lines of cross-platform force feedback support, but last time I checked (which was a while ago to be honest) it wasn't advanced and not fully usable.
    As I said above, there's no newer libraries to download (or at least I didn't found them), neither pascal headers other than jedi-sdl 1.0 (again I didn't found them, even freepascal points to jedi).

If any of you know about other headers, please share them. For now the force feedback feature will stay out of the project.