Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heightmap Terrain flicker

Heightmap Terrain flicker

Hello there, I've been having a few problems with directx9 lately, i've implemented a simple brute-force (for now) terrain system into my engine, everything is working good apart from the terrain flickering, it seems it has something todo with the depth, i've tried disable culling and still no luck. I have uploaded a sample of what is happening. (Please ignore the progress bar, it is just from while i develop new interface controls)

w,a,s,d to move, spacebar to speed up movement, as you fly over above the terrain you will see the terrain in the distance flickers alot. Any ideas are welcome

DOWNLOAD LINK

screenshot:

note it is not using any textures

Regards,
    Colin,
    Last edited by Colin; 31-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

my guess is you should try reducing the distance between the far and the near clipping plane which will increase the depth accuracy. you may also scale the whole landscape down to around 100x100 to improve the floating point accuracy. and finally you may want to change the depth format to D3DFMT_D24S8 instead of D3DFMT_D16 (assuming that you don't use that format already). btw what's the size of the landscape?

the landscape looks kind of upside-down here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan; 31-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.

i use depth format D3DFMT_D24X8, as for the size, it is 32x32 vertices scaled by 1500, i tried having the scaling very small and it was exactly the same problem, however i tried changing the near/far clipping plane and this seems to do the trick so thanks, what do you think would be a good value for these both?
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

the difference between the near and far plane should be as small as possible. I normally try not to go over 1000

excellent thanks, i will keep that in mind

about the landscape upside down, that is because i temporarily disabled culling, and the camera is starting below the surface, you can just fly up above the geometry - it is intended just for testing with for now

dont mind if I show off my landscape here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

that looks pretty good - i have moved onto texture splatting now, once i finish with multi-texturing my terrain, i will re-post also

seems i have broken something, i can't understand why this is happening, my code for loading raw heightmaps is as follows:

Code:
      SetLength(vertices, F_Vertices);
      iVertices := 0;
      AssignFile(f, filename);
      Reset(f, 1);

// Loop across and up
      for iy := 0 to F_VertsY-1 do begin
        for ix := 0 to F_VertsX-1 do begin
          BlockRead(f, height, 1);

// Create the verts
          vertices[iVertices].x := (ix*tScale);
          vertices[iVertices].y := height*tHeight;
          vertices[iVertices].z := (iy*tScale);

vertices[iVertices].u := ix;
          vertices[iVertices].v := iy;

Inc(iVertices);
        end;
      end;

CloseFile(f);
    I have not changed anything since last night regarding heightmaps, but today it is doing some weird sheeat

screenshot >

any ideas?

Never mind, seems my heightmap was corrupt

new screenshot >

Last edited by Colin; 01-04-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: My Mistake

looks much better than the first version
    how are you doing the texture blending? (vertex mask? texture mask? do you use layers or blend the textures in a single pass?)

I am using 1 alphamap + 3 textures in a single pass via hlsl, i plan to add a 2 pass version to support more textures.... however i was also considering fitting more than 1 texture into a loaded texture file and messing around with u,v coords to have many textures in a single pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast