Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carver Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    @Paul That site seems verry good. I will take some time reading trough but it will have to wait after the competition.
    to pull off a good texture rendering system you will need much more then just perlin noise and if your not careful your system could become very bloated and unmanageable rather quickly. my approach may not be the fastest solution but it extremely flexible most effects are applied as nodes and are very small they can often be chained together so the output of one becomes the input for the next. all drawing functions are effected by these nodes, even text rendering. scripting in most cases does not have a big impact but provides a nice interface to fine tune these effects. property editors require alot of extra work and generally preform poorly. my scripting mechanic's is not design for speed but flexibility, modular design. scripting expansion nodes are stack in the same way that the drawing nodes are. each node can have as many commands as needed and and new data types. in this way we can group them together in a way that makes since. and we can include as much or as little as we want. further more the scripting provides many input/output methods. you can export data in a similar xml fashion, only more readable. you can input/output lists of variables in a less orderly fashion. the scripting in the Explorer is for the most part is intended to be a set up language, not intended to handle time critical tasks. by the time this project is finish I will have implemented a chunk library so that if we decide to pre render some of our assets they could be stored there until they are no longer needed.

Yes I know that I will ned much more than just perlin noise. That's why I'm already developing my algorithm in a way that it will easily alow me to do some postprocessing or even do some preprocessing for each of the layers wich are then used in creation of the final texture. But like stated a few post higher I doubt I could do this by the end of competition. I do have a lot of other owrk on my entry wich still needs to be done. Hence I havent completly decided wich graphic engine will I use. For now I work on the core of the game.

@Paul
    your perlin is very nice, thank you so much
    I have implemented as a variable so I could set the seed from a script as well as share it with other functions. still need to play with it some more before I get it all figured out. now I just need to figure out how to make wood grains with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    I just need to figure out how to make wood grains with it.
    I think next page might come in handy for this as it shows example of how to make wood like textures.
    http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.eli...s/m_perlin.htm

Look at the bottom of the page

@Paul
    your perlin is very nice, thank you so much
    I have implemented as a variable so I could set the seed from a script as well as share it with other functions. still need to play with it some more before I get it all figured out. now I just need to figure out how to make wood grains with it.
    Glad I could help mate

I decided to move more to a single window design so I spent the last week ripping up code and trying to put it all back together. I now have my own little windowing system within the window or screen. the layout managers maintain control of the windows as they are added and removed. they also help to channel incoming messages to the point of focus. when I learn more about shaders I will be able to add some nice layouts but at this point the only shader I have is very basic so no point in spending alot of time on that right now. I found a nice mono font (since someone complained about my other one) still lots of tiding to do and then I think I'll spend some time tring to figure out some basic bone anmation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lights are on finally, I know it don't look like much yet but it is opengl 3.3 so learning is slow. especially when all my reference materal is c++
    LightsOn.jpg

well I'm starting to work out some bone animation stuff since I could find anything that worked for me. at least this way when its done I'll know how it works. I'm using a modified version of user137's getangle to pose him at the moment. this version works with negitive values. now all I need is to get it working on the other axis's
    in case it's useful to someone.
    Code:
    Function GetAngle(vVec1,vVec2:TFlt3):TFlt;
    Var
      v1,v2:TFlt3;
      vA:TFlt;
    begin
      v1:=VecFlt3(0,1,0);
      v2:=VecNorm(VecSub(vVec1,vVec2));
      vA:=ArcCos(VecDot(v1,v2))*(180/PI);
      if v2.X<0 then  result:=-vA else result:=vA;
    end;
    Man1.jpgMan2.jpg
    as you can see my shader has improved a bit.

well I'm starting to work out some bone animation stuff since I could find anything that worked for me. at least this way when its done I'll know how it works. I'm using a modified version of user137's getangle to pose him at the moment. this version works with negitive values. now all I need is to get it working on the other axis's
    in case it's useful to someone.
    Code:
    Function GetAngle(vVec1,vVec2:TFlt3):TFlt;
    Var
      v1,v2:TFlt3;
      vA:TFlt;
    begin
      v1:=VecFlt3(0,1,0);
      v2:=VecNorm(VecSub(vVec1,vVec2));
      vA:=ArcCos(VecDot(v1,v2))*(180/PI);
      if v2.X<0 then  result:=-vA else result:=vA;
    end;
    Man1.jpgMan2.jpg
    as you can see my shader has improved a bit.
    Nice work...that looks rather cute actually

Maybe Hugo's site can help again in this area too:
    (inverse) Kinematics
    http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.eli...s/m_linked.htm
    http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_ik.htm
    http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_ik2.htm

cheers,
    Paul

Thanks Paul, I can use all the help I can get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast