Thread: 2nd PGD Challenge - "Platformation"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can the character climb walls?
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it does look like it can climb walls, or at least cling to them for a time.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yeah, he can climb vertical walls if right next to them and you push up

Damn it! I am rappidly running out of time, and still don't have any levels, journeying, or enemies added yet...life (and almost 1/3 of the time gone before I could start) has taken a toll

Not sure if I will make the deadline...I will have to see!!

PS. on the other hand, I did receive a shiny new 32GB (WiFI+4G) iPad (iPad 3 or Next iPad) for my birthday!!

Well, I have now gotten 1 enemy in the game - zap globes. These charge up when you are in range (touching red circle...shows dotted line), and then fires at you for a short time causing damage. They then have a short cooldown period before they can charge back up again if you are still in range. Moving out of range resets the charging/firing phases back to scanning.
    I am hoping to get in homing missiles before the time is out...

I do have one level in the game where you collect coins and try to make it to the exit (no exit yet though...), and will have the minimum of 3 (at least) levels (locations) before the time runs out, and will also have a menu to pick different levels.

No sound as yet, might just have time to get some openal sound in there if all goes well

You can fire missiles (left click...shoots at crosshairs) and grenades (right click...shoots at crosshairs, affected by gravity, and they bounce around).

Explosions cause damage when hitting zap globes or the player

2 days to go!! Tick...tick...tick....

EDIT: pity I couldn't start till around 13 April...this is NOT going to be my best work, but nevermind
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 27-04-2012 at 05:38 AM.

OMG! I have finally uploaded my entry to the FTP site!!

Unfortunately it doesn't have sound or more than one enemy type (ran out of time), but it works and I think it is bug free
    It has 6 levels (locations) in it and you can travel to them from the main menu so revisiting is there too

see:
    platformation_binary.zip (4MB zip file) - execute the platformation.jar file in the bin\debug or bin\release folders to run the game...(includes instruction file)
    platformation_source.zip (5.4MB zip file) - contains all the source code + the lwjgl library used in the game.

Good luck to one and all!

I'm off to bed as I am bone tired from my children getting me up these past 4 nights!

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Congrats on finishing Paul!

You know there is still time. You could always upload a new version in the morning?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder