Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
Having said that, though, deathshadow - whats your take on scratch? Personally I actively persecute it... But thats just me
It's actually something I looked at during my whirlwind tour of "wow these suck". It's too gimmicky, their website seems to be just thrown together any old way to the point I couldn't even figure out where the actual instructions for using it or doing anything in it actually are, and I didn't see any results built in it that were particularly blowing my skirt up.

Though much of that is just the technology it's based on. Flash can be very powerful, but to compile to actionscript, which is basically what it does... well... the net result leaves a lot to be desired... Crappy user input handling, oddball flickers of simple things like sprite movement... and that's before we talk the "IDE".

Which I naturally hate for the goofy illegible color contrasts -- but to be fair, I can't stand illegible acid trip of color syntax highlighting either; it's one of the first things I disable in any editor. (part of why I use Flo's Notepad2 as my primary). I didn't like it when Borland added it to TP4, I've not seen it improve in usefulness since; making giant colored boxes with text that doesn't line up in a clear manner with all sorts of pointless useless extra wording? I'll pass.

In a lot of ways SCRATCH reminds me of Logo -- you can't actually seem to make anything useful with it; and when the results are NOT as good as ROM Basic programs were on a TI-99/4a on a multi-ghz computer using a API that DOES have hardware acceleration... you've got problems.