Thread: Alexland 2 - open alpha

Alexland 2 - open alpha

Hey folks. For some time I have been working on a multiplayer game project. Recently I've found a nice site offering VPS at very nice prices, so I thought - this could be a great opportunity to test the network code in action (as it is most likely terrible now), improve and also generally show what we've got done so far. Thus, I've decided to release an in-dev version for You to check out.

Game uses SDL and BASS and is available for Linux and Windows. Current version is 0.1.8.

A screenshot to encourage someone:

Download links: LINUX WIN32

Host: dedicated.svgames.pl:6969
    You can expect me to be waiting for anyone willing to play a little around 20-23 GMT+2 (GMT+1 DST) time.

Cool game. My only comment is that the camera doesn't move smoothly.

I've tried the game under my Fedora 16 system, and got it working after installing the required libraries. I could not enter the ':' character to set the port as the game ignored some of the keys (I'm not using a US keyboard). Strangely it did not work with a US keyboard layout too, so I am not sure what the problem is. Additionaly, the hostname I entered (incorrect one) failed to resolve, but it still tried to connect. Perhaps the game should ask to enter the host again if it fails to resolve.

EDIT: Tried the windows version under Wine, it runs and the keyboard is ok, however the movement is laggy, I guess this is an issue with the net code.
    Last edited by de_jean_7777; 28-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Looks nice.

BTW, I think you should include a "README" file explaining how to install, the libraries it needs and how to play.
    No signature provided yet.

I have to admit, I threw this one a little bit in a hurry. During the weekend I should release a slightly improved version; a readme surely will appear, maybe I'll even add keyboard mapping there.

Blog Entries
    The Windows one does come with all the required libraries, doesn't it?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder