Since the 2nd PGD challenge is almost finished and I'm still quite away from finishing my entry I decided to create a thread about it in Your Projects section instead. This is because this time I do intend to finish this project (that'll be the first) in difference of my First PGD mini challenge entry which I abandoned not long since the end of competition.
Now about the idea for this project:
I intend to make a game somewhat similar to Star Control 2. But I do intend to add some more features to it and hopefully make it even more interesting that Star Control 2 was.
Features that I plan to add into game are:
1. Procedurally generated universe with dozens of star systems and hundreds of planets (maximum number of these would be finally up to computer capabilities).
2. Each planet would have procedurally generated surface texture (hence my researching in Perlin noise which took me more time than predicted).
3. Each planet would also have its own micro economy which will determine which products are available for trade, which products are demanded and of course products prices which will be calculated on supply and demand economic model.
4. Each planet will also have its own planetary and orbitarry structures which will affect the planets economy (products are actually produced in these structures).
5. There will be some kind of macro economy throughout the space (have to figure out how I will do this one).
6. The game will have complex production tree which will determine which resources or products are required for production of certain product.
7. There will be Star Control 2 like battle system I might extend it with directional turrets - controlled by mouse pointer, or even multiship battles. Will see how it will go.
8. There will be AI for controlling enemy ships in battle system.
9. There will be another AI for managing planetary development (autobuilding of planetary structures)
10. Another AI for controlling trading ships which will be conducting products trading among different planets and star systems (this one will be tough one to do, if anyone is willing to help on this let me know).
11. Another AI which will control where pirate ships are doing their raids (so there won't be just some random raids).
12. Maybe add some other AI-s for some other factions and such.
13. Ability to modify ship by changing ships components.
Do note that I didn't intend to add all of these features for my 2nd PGD challenge. Procedurally generated textures were thrown out of my plan after I spent too much time on developing necessary algorithm. From AI only battle AI was planned.
Things done till now.
1. Completed necessary classes for star systems.
2. Completed algorithm for star system generation - some changes are planned to it.
3. Completed classes for planets.
4. Completed classes for planetary structures.
5. Completed methods for simulating product production.
6. Almost completed classes for planetary economic model - lacking of supply and demand model integration.
7. Completed classes for production chain - some changes planned. I do intend to add ship components to product line. Will add some class descendants from base product class for these.
8. Completed ships class - total rewrite pending to add customization ability. Ships class will now be descended class from TProduct class (adds ability for ship production to planetary structures).
9. Basic battle AI - some changes planned to it especially if I add targetable turrets to ships.
10. Basic GUI made with VCL - total redesign planed with Aspyre 2 graphic engine.
I also plan to make some kind of a Product tree editor which will allow me making games product tree. I might release source code for it, or even write an article about how the whole product line is being done, someday in the future.
Anywhay lots of coding to bee done. At least I can code at my own pace now.