Thread: Go White

Go White

OK, with just a little over an hour left, my first version is in and I create the first post about it. (This will be the shortest thread by far.) The game, or rather early game draft, is a 2D game that I call "Go White".

Well, at least I got some of the components in place, and you can travel somewhat, but there is no "winning" and way too few enemies. But the list of the things I did do is still fairly OK for something started a week ago. Maybe.

The game is a mix of Moon Patrol and Sopwith. You travel (to the right) with the goal of reaching all the ten bases. All ten bases exist, and they look slightly different. The terrain also changes a lot, to more dramatic mountains. You start on foot but can, when your budget allows it, switch to car or aeroplane.

In this game, everything is vector graphics generated from code. The only external data are sound files.

The source is 100% Free Pascal, of course.

Blog Entries
    Very cool! This reminds me of both that helicopter game where you have to catch the falling guys and Astrosmash!

Still the 29th here too btw. Wouldn't hurt if you managed to sneak in a 2nd version in case there is anything you wanted to add in late. (wink wink)

But this does look like something perfectly what the challenge is was intended to bring in. Simple proof of concept or prototype gameplay. Nice work!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    So does a 2 day extension appeal to you? Would it help your project?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    So does a 2 day extension appeal to you? Would it help your project?
    It certainly would make it possible to make it more playable.

I thought about the extension and I will do something, get a bit loser to working. But I wasted most of today, working on a way to run the graphics through OpenGL instead of Core Graphics. That could give both portability and much better performance.

I probably won't finish the OpenGL based version, but I have also implemented a queuing system for game objects that reduces the load from objects far away. That allows me to enter a huge number of objects to populate the world. Now I just have to make a few more kinds of opponents and that kind of things.

The input queue works just great, but I have to make two more, one stack at least side where I store all objects that are too far away from the player to be interesting. Then you can go back and forth, everything will remain, and I can have thousands of objects costing only memory.

In the past, I would have used a linked list for this, but now I am using dynamic arrays instead. That allows me to do it with fewer memory operations (granted that I expand the list with many items at a time, which I do).

My "large world stacks" were really easy, worked almost at the first try. So now I can happily add a ton of game entities. The only risk is that it slows down the game start, but only that.

Now, what more enemies should I add...?

Well, it is still just a first draft, but 0.0.3 at least has a some more of those features the full game should have.

- Many upgrades work.
    - Aeroplane not totally impossible. But not really good.
    - A bit more flexible on coins and cannons.
    - Jumping works.
    - Vehicle hit points.
    and a whole bunch of other changes... but the sound of the "spawners" is still annoying, no engine sounds, and no winning (last sections are unpopulated). I know what I wanted to do to make a neat ending, but I don't have the time. Heard that before? Same things with my OpenGL acceleration/porting interface, it would be great, but so much left.

A few last fixes, populated more of the world, planes can shoot...