Quote Originally Posted by AirPas View Post
and as you maybe noticed that embarcadero and borland previously Focused on database all times , so the name 'delphi' has been associated with databse domain rather than games
Yes I did noticed that and infact I can't understand this policy.
I can understand back in day Borland focused a lot on databases mostly becouse of their BDE (Borland Database Engine). The main advantage of BDE was ability to work with various types of databases raging from old DOS databases like paradox to all the newest and all this with exactly the same framework. If my memory serves me corect BDE was the only tool back in day to provide that and SQL was stil in development.
But today when we talk about databases we always talk about SQL. Why? SQL is similar to what BDE was back in days with the main difference that it is cros-language and cros-platform compatible. Lets face it nowadays rarely anybody works directly with databases all other use SQL for that.
Yes through out the years Borland and now Embarcadero did developed a lot of standalone programs for working and managing the databases but I still doesn't understand why they focus so much about databases.

I do have to admit that some of the focus has ben turned to FireMonkey lately wich should alow developing application for multiple platforms but still the main focus is on databases. You can even see this by the fact that whole FireMonkey platform focuses on data binding.

And as I'm mentioning FireMonkey here I might share some of my expiriences with it.
The core idea for FireMonkey is good but I'm afraid that its implementation isn't. If you intend to use it for game development I recomed you to stay away, atleast for now. Why? FireMonkey's performace is quite bad.
Having quite simple form with several controls on it and you are already down to les than 30 FPS especialy if you use any special effects that FireMonkey provides.
The special effects that FireMonkey provides also aren't much.
The worst part is how controls works. For instace if you have a form with three trackbars wich are used to determine rotation of some 3D object wich is being drawn by FireMonkey you could expect horible performance (verry laggy). Why? Becouse for some reason FireMonkey seems to be queing events fired by your interaction with FireMonkey-s controls. So for instance when you move trackbar left for three units three events would get qued. And FireMonkey will first rotate your object based of first qued event, than on second qued event, and then on third qued event. And if this 3D object of yours is atleast a bit compex could take even a second for FireMonkey to finish all three events.
If you ask me FireMonkey-s controls should check their imputs only after redrawing phase and not que any events just as games graphical engines does.