Thread: The future of Pascal as language for games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    ...complete lack of range checking...
    Just wanted to comment on this: in all our projects, range checking is assumed to be off. The reason for this is that in many situations number wrapping is the desired behavior, not to mention that range checking slows the execution down, so it should only be used in debug builds anyway. The appropriate software design comes into mind that you should make your code fault tolerant and if a parameter has invalid range, you should return the feedback appropriately.

Regarding other syntax discussion of C++ vs Pascal, I think it's been fought to the death already and my opinion is that both have reasonably good syntax. For that matter, I try to stay away from Basic and its derivatives, and Fortran, which is, unfortunately, still quite popular in scientific community.
    Last edited by LP; 17-06-2012 at 05:52 PM.

As someone already said, the future only depends on us using the language. Lots of people criticized my use of pascal instead of C++ for developing my engines and games, but over the years (around 15 of pascal) I've always proved them that it was more than enough for my needs