Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who would make a game for the OUYA?

Blog Entries

Question So who would make a game for the OUYA?

I've thought about how I could port Garland's Quest over to the OUYA since it came out on Kickstarter. It is such a great idea that will either be a huge success or a disastrous flop. What do you think? Would you make a game for it? Those that have made a commercial game or two, would you port your games over to it?

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

But, it is actually an open sourced console like the Uzebox, or only the software will be open?

Actually I don't care because the price and the specifications looks great. Specially the possibility to develop stuff without spending a lot of money.
    No signature provided yet.

The dev team said that you are allowed to open the thing and do whatever your heart wants.

Well, since it runs Android, I don't think it would be a problem to make my existing code run on it, so why not.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries
    The OUYA SDK or "ODK" is out and downloadable now: http://www.ouya.tv/devs/
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    The dev team said that you are allowed to open the thing and do whatever your heart wants.
    I'm afraid that means there won't be a "console" experience for end users (as in no fuss, no hacks, no worries, no instability), which might restrict its appeal to devs rather than the general public. Also if games are too easy to crack/hack, no major studio will be investing on it... I wonder how they're going to be able to offer both openness and a solid platform at the same time if every game can exploit the hardware/software in un-intended ways?

Blog Entries
    Well I think by "open", they meant the hardware could easily be "hacked" as in come up with new hardware and learn more about the software yourselves. The storefront will most likely be a bit more solid and secure than that, but unlike Nintendo and other console companies they are opening things up in a more positive way than the big companies have.

I think with places like Kickstarter and the huge reaction to things like Minecraft that this kind of openness will bring more positive hacking and an better era of creativity than the poor reactions to the rise of companies like Microsoft and Apple who have brought this culture of "us versus them" mentality. I think the OUYA will do better in that regard. But just like on the computer, if someone is going to go through the trouble of cracking your game or going out there to find it for free, then they weren't going to buy it anyways.

All that aside, the OUYA people have said that they will be pushing proper security for developers to ensure that all their info and transactions are secure. You may end up only being able to shove pirated Android apps on there.

Of course they might have meant that they only want you to hack and tinker with the dev console version. lol Not 100% sure there.

I do know that big titles are heading to this console. Square-Enix is putting FF3 on there, The Last Of Us developers is making an exclusive title. Mojang expressed interest in putting Minecraft on there. and so on... Here is a list of all the confirmed games coming out for the OUYA: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...ng-to-the-OUYA

You may note that Subject 33 by Red Ant Games is on there too.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...no major studio will be investing on it...
    that would be great if the market isnt flooted with AAA style titels and normal devs could continue to make games games without having to hit a standart
    this already happen in the other appstores and is quite disappointing

i also read about people crying that OUYA dont had good copy protection, well bad news for this guys, smartphones and consoles are not save either

Blog Entries
    Well unless OUYA pulls something out of their hat, I believe that only Apple offers that kind of security. But I'm sure someone out there knows how to pirate iOS Apps.

But similar to what I've said before (and by no means a new concept that *I* came up with), if someone is going to jailbreak their iPhone to play your game, they weren't going to pay you for it anyways.

Besides all these worries, I think that making games for the OUYA will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing my first game on there.

If anyone does release their game for it, please tell me so I can get it myself as I'll be getting my OUYA console and 2 controllers sometime in March.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

100$, given the exchange rates, isn't exactly the amount of money I can throw away at any given time, but I think I'll surely give it a look someday. With Java being so popular in the industry, the OUYA might be a good reason to finally start learning that horrid language.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast