Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FBOs and OpenGL Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Speaking of "outdated," aren't FBOs supposed to be obsolete with the newest version of OpenGL? At least that's what I've been told not too long ago.
    Why on earth would FBOs be outdated? I mean, replaced by what? I know that so much OpenGL is gone in 3.2 and up, but not FBOs.

And as mentioned in other parts of the thread, FBOs are not deprecated but core functionality, at least last time I looked.

As I've mentioned earlier in my post, FBOs are in no way outdated nor deprecated. They were adopted into Core and therefore are considered standard and official.

Perhaps Jason meant to say that pixel transfer and operations are deprecated? While working with OpenGL it is common to accidentally keep using deprecated functionality since in all its mess it is difficult to know what's still current and what's outdated. One way to stay out of trouble is to explicitly request Core 3 functionality, therefore disabling deprecated stuff and forcing you to use only the current features.

The bad news is that Intel IGPs are so popular these days yet they are quite troublesome with OpenGL: while Intel HD 3000 (and HD 4000) supposedly support OpenGL 3, they are quite problematic even with OpenGL 2.1; on the other hand, Intel Atom's IGPs such as GMA 950 and 3150 can barely run OpenGL 1.5 apps with sluggish performance. Therefore, to maintain compatibility, an engine will most likely need to be an hybrid of all OpenGL incarnations.

Blog Entries
    Well, I dont want to revive an old thread so late on but I did indeed find a solution in the end while on holiday and flicking through some PDFs and now I have internet I figured I'd post up just how 'idiotic' I had been...

Code:
    glext_LoadExtension('GL_EXT_framebuffer_object');
    Yes people... That line helps. A lot...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Code:
    glext_LoadExtension('GL_EXT_framebuffer_object');
    In dglOpenGL this is automatically included in the call to ReadExtensions;

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123