Thread: Gamer's networks; which ones are key?

Blog Entries

Question Gamer's networks; which ones are key?

Hey everyone! Despite the fact that I run PGD, I too still need good solid developer-to-developer advice every once in a while. This time it's about gaming networks on Windows.

I've only removed myself from the M$ equation for less than a couple of years now, but so much has changed. What are the BEST gamer store/community/networks out there?

Here are the ones I currently know of:
    • Steam
    • Desura
    • Indivania

Am I missing any other major ones? I want my big commercial game project to take off in a big way so I'll need to know about the top ones so I can target them for launch when the time comes.

I'm planning on releasing the game for Mac as well, but the choices are pretty obvious there. Mac App Store and Steam. Desura is working on a Mac client though.

It's unlikely that I'll get the game on Android too soon after it's initial release for PC, but I'll be sure to target both the Google Play and new OUYA game console if and when I do.

Also since we are talking about these networks and developing games for them. How compatable are each of them with each other for developer's features and tools? Desura is offering lots of great features, but I don't know much about what Steam is offering in the way of the developer side. Though I could guess, I'm asking you guys if you happen to know.

And before you ask, no I'm not going to target the major gaming consoles, nor am I going to seek out a big publisher like Big Fish. I don't want them taking my IP or butchering my game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Steam is THE store/gaming network on Windows/Mac and soon Linux, so I'd recommend this as your primary interest. Desura is also becoming quite popular, but is nowhere near Steam. Major consoles seem like a pain for indie devs.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries
    Gaming networks.... Theres was a good list of cross platform ones that was published in Ludum Dare a while back. Lets see if I can dig it up...
    Last edited by code_glitch; 21-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Some time ago, I try to get in touch with Steam staff to know about any SDK available for developing and any chance about anything that allow a Delphi developer to publish a game with them. Unfortunatly they ignore me. Maybe if anyone from admin staff from the PGD forum ask, will have better chance.

Hi guys, recently I contacted Desura staff, and ask about requirements to publish games with them, here's their answer

There is nothing special you need to do to your game for it to work on Desura. In order to have a game reviewed for publication on Desura you are going to need to create a developer profile and game profile on our sister site ModDB.

You can create your developer/company profile here:
    http://www.moddb.com/company/add

You can create your game profile here:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/add

You will need to upload no less than 10 screenshots and at least 1 game play video, and more is better. If you have a game trailer upload that as well. Once you have done that you can click on the publish link on your game's profile. This will cause the system to automatically prompt us to review your game for publication. Your videos and screenshots will be used to review your game.
    Hope this help a bit.

Blog Entries
    Desura has some interesting options for developers who want to start selling at alpha. Something I've considered. My problem is that it's currently Windows only right now.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Desura rings a bell. Unfortunately I can't find that link I mentioned earlier anywhere - ludum dare is so lively I looked through a few dozen pages and had to face the reality its lost in the tsunami of content those guys generate XD

Although it would pose the same issue as Desura, you could go to the Ubuntu Software Centre - you can get paid, theres a lot of users out there and its looking for developpers to submit apps to it. Oh, and its not only limited to ubuntu since its now possible to get it up and running on many 'ubuntu-like' distros
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.