Thread: ways to Promote your game Online

ways to Promote your game Online

hey there,

ive been thinking of different ways on how to promote a game online
    due to my exam i mostly target on how to promote my app but it should be work for any digital distribution
    i forgot to tell that i only target ways that dont have any costs at all, this is important!

so my list contains some ways already and i would be glad if one if you guys find one that i havent think of by now

- gaming Portals
    - Forums
    - Social Networks
    - Blogs
    - Advertising Sharing systems (with no cost)
    - Digital gaming Magazines

maybe i forgot one but i hope you guys can add another one to my list, a article on "how to promote your app" will be coming when my bachelor exam is done

You forgot about one which is used werry often theese days YouTube.

oh youtube count as Social Network to me but thx
    cant say its much different then what i see at facebook, some likes, shares, subscribtions and so on

Another way of promoting your games which maybe doesn't fit right into your theme would be publishing of demo or shareware versions of your game or even publishing early alpha version of your game.

hmm you can still publish a beta to the android store, i dont know if i use this for my exam but anyway it would get into the article
    thx dude

Quote Originally Posted by Daikrys View Post
    hmm you can still publish a beta to the android store, i dont know if i use this for my exam but anyway it would get into the article
    thx dude
    Last time I looked, publishing on the google android market costs $25 (US) as a once only cost...

yip but its per year and it dont count as advertisement costs cause you need it any way to publish your game
    the beta thing is meant to be as a game version under 1.0 so it count as beta and people can be sure its still in development
    as far as i know there are people who dont download a beta at all so you mostly get guys who want to test the game and may wait for the full release

What about the crowdfunding websites? It's not just a way to promote your game, but also a way to "make it possible"(in some cases) to happen.

Also, if you allow me to suggest a topic for your exam, I think that most of the indie games are played by indie game developers OR game developers(those ones who work on big companies), and less by "just gamers".

Confefences is another way to promote a game!

crowfunding websites may have a promoting effect but its not the main goal of such websites, its just a side effect

I think that most of the indie games are played by indie game developers OR game developers(those ones who work on big companies), and less by "just gamers".
    i hardly disagree here, i know alot of people who are just gamer and like to play indie or casual games instead of AAA title
    and i also know alot game developer who mostly play mmos or AAA title and only rarely indie titles
    and when you look at the app stores where most developer can be described as indies you know that the comments and rating may not come from developers (i mean no developer would blame you for putting advertising in your games to get some cash but some kiddies still do)

Conferences cost money and you normally only reach a small audience there but yeah if you go there its still helpful to talk about your games