Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delphi 7 on Windows 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delphi 7 on Windows 8

Hello,

Has anyone managed to install Delphi 7 on Windows 8? When I try the installer starts then stops saying it was interrupted, try again !

Did you try compatibility modes for older Windowses?

When instaling Delphi 7 under Windows Vista or newer you should always use compatibility mode (Windows XP compatibility mode). If that won't work try combination of compatibility mode with administrative rights.
    Also do note that you will probably need to run Delphi 7 in compatibility mode all the time.

On the other hand you might wanna switch to using FPC/Lazarus instead of Delphi 7. Lazarus use quite similar interface to Delphi 7 so you probably won't have much trouble geting used to it. Lazarus also support all the newest features present in pascal (64 bit applications, multiplatform support, etc.) and is fully compatible with newer operating systems.

What we started doing si installing older Delphi versions into a Vm - in our case VirtualBox. It is great. Virtual box running windows XP - never will I need to set up Delphi 5,7 and 2007 again. Installing all the components etc that we use takes days. (the problem of 14 years of software development different developers etc)
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Delphi 7 is at least running on my Windows 7. I may have installed it in XP-compatibility mode, but i don't need it for actually running Delphi.

Not sure about admin rights, cause my win-user is admin itself Eases things not needing to toggle that for all little things. Not seen any virus or trojan attack me yet, even though i have no anti-virus or software firewall either.

VirtualBox sounds like a hassle. VM's sure can make life more difficult, even though it might make more things possible.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Not sure about admin rights, cause my win-user is admin itself
    On WindowsXP having user account with administrative rights gave you full controll of your computer and all program started by you also had full acces.
    But this is not the case on Windows Vista or newer. I to have administrative rights for my account on Windows 7 but if I wan't to run checkdisk to check for errors on system partition I need to run it through commandline which has been run with administrative privilegies. Starting command line normaly from start menu isn't godd enough.
    Als when I was using Delphi XE trial I had several problems becouse for some reason Delphi always tried to write some files in the directory in which it was instaled (under program files) and Windows kept blocing it unles it was started with administrative rights. Later I did fix it by granting my user acount full acces to the directory in which Delphi XE Trial was instaled.
    Luckily I'm not having this kind of problems with Delphi XE2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Did you try compatibility modes for older Windowses?
    I tried this and got an error saying a file was missing. I'm now thinking I have a dodgy CD. I have grabbed a new one from work and will try again tonight. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll let you know if it works. As for running it in a VM, I do this at work but didn't want to do this (if possible) on my home laptop.

By using compatibility mode and a different CD, I finally managed to install Delphi 7. I have configured the shortcut to run with admin rights and it seems to be working fine. During the install I had a dialog that said there were know issues which I bypassed and the rest ran smoothly. I then ran the JEDI SDL installer which Windows 8 tried to stop as it believed it was potentially dangerous. Under Windows 7 I would normally hit the “run anyway” button but under Windows 8 they have hidden this from view so at first it looks as if you can’t run the exe. So far everything seems fine so I can get back to writing a game

Blog Entries
    If you are a Delphi 7 fan, you might be better off with Lazarus as newer Windows has changed so much that older programs like that just aren't running on the current Windows anymore. Lazarus is free and it is as close to the older D7 IDE as you'll get these days. And Lazarus is much more capable than Delphi of yester-year, just add "Delphi Compatibility Mode" to your project's compiler settings if you want to directly port old Delphi code over.

Normally I wouldn't suggest switching over unless you want to support a different platform, but as you seem reluctant to purchase a newer Delphi, Lazarus would be your only other FREE option. And sticking to aging tools is never a good way to do software development.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hello, The main reason I stick with Delphi 7 is because it works well and the IDE is quick and easy to use. I have access to newer version of Delphi at work but at home I just use it to write games. As long as I can install and use the JEDI SDL library I’m happy. I spend the day writing business apps and using WPF for the GUI so the last thing I want to do when I get home is more of the same. This is why D7 works for me, I don’t really use the RAD stuff. I did try Lazarus five or six years ago and it seemed a little rough around the edges. If I get a chance I’ll give it another go but at the end of the day I just want to program and not spend ages setting up an environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast