This topic is in specific reference to "selling" software. How exactly would Borland know if a program was compiled (or for that matter developed) in a version of Delphi that was not meant to create commercial products. Such as student editions, personal editions, etc.

On the same note, does the above pertain to development? or just compilation? Say I create a sweet product everyone wants to buy in a student edition of the software... but have a friend compile it under his professional edition, is it sellable then?

I'm not quite understanding of how and or why Borland chooses this path when Microsoft fully allows the sale of any program written under any student edition of their development environments. I personally don't have thousands of dollars to shell out to get a commercial development license for Delphi (I could barely afford the student edition). Nor would I wish to spend such money in order to create and sell the cheesey shareware applications I do, that will obviously never rake in as much money as I spent to get the license to sell them!

Doesn't Borland realize they have a HUGE personal user base compared to their commercial user base. Or could it be they do...