Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
2-3month failures? wha? I mean. Thats impressive, you guys should stress test for manufacturers SSD wise my recommendation is based on the end users experience of it feeling fast.
We purchased SSDs exactly to speed up compilation process, which improved 30 minute compilation time to 20 minutes when doing full rebuild of 20 Gb project. This would typically involve processing (reads, some writes) of more than 100,000 files. If there is a bug in SSD logic chip, this will make it fail rather quickly. I agree that it's not a typical end-user usage scenario, but honestly for me it doesn't matter if it will fail now or at some random point later - I would rather use hardware that I know is quite reliable, in which case it is HDD (I just stay away from Hitachi and Samsung/Seagate brands).

Didn't mean to be agressive, sort of skim read your reply as I'd just got home and caught onto ATI, Driver, glitches, intel, intel, i7 and... Yeah. Rule of thumb - FX series tend to be innovative and new. With that comes rather a lot of 'stuff' that we simply can't quite get our heads around. Eg. why they use less power run a little hotter and deliver less power in some scenarios and much more in others with no relation.
Well, despite online reviews, AMD FX 8-core series are pretty powerful, at least for us where we use them for work and not necessarily multi-threaded. Yes, in our rigs Core i7 2600K beats AMD FX 8150 in single-threaded applications, but when things become multithreaded, they both work very well.

Personally I'm avoiding intel anything - since the AMD switch was my revelation that 60C stock is NOT acceptable compared to 40C on an unlocked and OCed chip with stock coolers.
That is because AMD's stock coolers at least have some cooper in them, while Intel's coolers are made of some poor quality aluminum mixed with sawdust. I once tried to cut off piece of aluminum from Intel's cooler (to make a gasket as a replacement for laptop's deep thermal pillow) only to see it crumble into pieces under pressure.

they only just got OpenGL 3.1 more or less right and their latest support for anything is not quite up to what I call an ATI driver kludge.
On that note, I was wondering. Does Apple ever update their graphics drivers on OS X? Because Intel HD 3000/4000 with latest Windows drivers handles OpenGL 3 on Windows very well, while on Mac OS its OpenGL 3 support is buggy and detrimal.