So 2013 is here, the open beta is running good and people seem to like the game.So for 2013 I plan a final release (after all the years of hard work and endless weekends that made it look like the game would never become finished) and there isn't that much left to do :

• Sound design
    The game is severely lacking in this area. I noticed this will playing a small indie strategy game where the sounds perfectly fit the scenario and added to the overall atmosphere. That’s pretty much missing from “Phase 2″ currently, and this is one of the bigger issues I’ll take care of.
  • Politics feature
    I mentioned this in several posts and the button is already there in the current beta build, but the feature is still in design stage. My plan is to add more personality to the game so the player feels more like the leader of a nation rather than “just” building stuff and moving divisions.
  • Ingame tutorial and documentation
    “Phase 1″ had an ingame tutorial that lead the player through the most important aspects of the gameplay. This is currently missing from “Phase 2″, but something like this is a necessity for such a complex game. The html manual include is already a step in the right direction but not sufficient in my eyes.
  • Add more content
    Although already stuffed with a lot of content (currrently the development directory inlcudes almost 800 MBytes of drafts, artworks, models, textures, designs, etc.) there are still areas where content is lacking. Battlefields for example still lack variety in 3D models and I also want to add some more buildings, technologies and global projects.
  • Remove backwards compatibility for shaderless GPUs
    Wheen the original game launched there were lots of GPUs that didn’t support shaders, so there is still code in the renderer for these cards. But nowadays even the cheapest GPU is capable of shaders (inlcuded integrated GPUs), so I want to remove this legacy stuff and then also use shaders to opimize rendering in certain areas.

These are the most important points on my agenda, though I still have some plans left after the first final release (except for patches). I may implement a complete network mode in addition to hotseat multiplayer and I also want to make it compile with Lazarus so that I can also release a linux and MacOSX version (or maybe even more). Though these points aren't written in stone as I'd like to move on from Projekt "W" at some point in the near future and start working on something else.

And btw. the game is now also listed on the IndieDB. I hope this will broaden the audience a bit and make more people play it :