Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Projekt Weltherrscher - "Phase 2"

And it's much faster than the Delphi implementation.
    do you mean fpc version is much faster than delphi one ?

Quote Originally Posted by AirPas View Post
    do you mean fpc version is much faster than delphi one ?
    That was related to the XML-Implementation of Native XML. XML-Functionality in Delphi is based on MS-XML which is pretty slow. So for the next release, all XML-based stuff will be faster (loading and saving games, startup in general, etc.).

And btw. I finally got Lazarus set up under a current Ubuntu. Actually I hate the Ubuntu user interface (worst UI design I've ever seen) and getting Lazarus installed there almost drove me made (in the end I had to install 10 ! packages), but it's now all set up and I'll soon start getting it to compile there

good progression.
    are there any intention to make it open source ?
    the game really has alot of cool things , like the GUI which is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems View Post
    Actually I hate the Ubuntu user interface (worst UI design I've ever seen)
    That's why I always recommend Mint - it is based on Ubanto, so you get all the hardware drivers and other goodies, but the user experience and customization is much better.

The project itself looks absolutely kick-ass. I am definitely going to check this out once a Linux version comes out.

That's why I always recommend Mint
    even with xfce its a little bit slow , i switched to debian with gnome 2 , it seems much better than tons of distros i've installed

Well well well, after a complete weekend of getting Lazarus up and running in my Ubuntu VM and getting the code linux-compatible, I just compiled the first native linux version of "Phase 2" :

Yes, there are visual glitches, missing texts and other stuff that's not display like it should (ignore the FPS, it's MESA OpenGL in a VM), but that's nothing I can't fix. So a linux version is finally going to happen and I hope it'll get played as much as the windows one.

That is awesome Sascha, nice one!
    Lazarus rocks!

First public linux release!

Believe it or not! After a month of hard work (with very little sleep) I'm proud to present the first public linux release!

If you've followed my blog you may have seen me post several articles on going multi-platform where I wrote about my experiences porting the game over to linux, and though at times I thought I'd never get this done (linux differs a lot from windows) I finally got a fully playable linux version done, and if you'd run it fullscreen along a windows version you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So linux users now get the same experience as windows users. So from now on the game's source compiles with Delphi and Lazarus and on Windows and linux. MacOSX support is also planned, and hopefully not as hard to implement now with linux supported.

But please note that I could only test on one distribution and since it's a different compiler there may be bugs not present in the windows version. So if you get it to run on linux I'd love to hear on what distribution.

Downloads

• Linux :http://www.saschawillems.de/download...nuxi386.tar.gz (.tar.gz, ~65 MBytes)
      Important note : Please run the "startprojectw.sh" script inlcuded in the download instead of the application itself. The game uses libbass.so (BASS sound API) which needs to be located by linux, so if you don't have this installed and run directly the game may not launch. That's why I created the start script to change the ld_path.

Welp, my card doesn't support compressed textures. Are you doing Load_GL_X_X calls anywhere? Cause though my driver info displays 1.4, calls up to 3.1 are successful in my programs and I've been quite happily using OGL 2.X stuff.

Well, I'm using our dglOpenGL.pas for linux too and that just uses glXGetProcAddress to get the procedure addresses. But as for the compressed textures I simply check against the presence of GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc in the extension string, and if that's not present the game won't run.

Maybe I'll have to check against a different (newer) extension instead of the GL_EXT_ one, but e.g. GL_ARB_Compression is completly different. I'll look into this issue.

P.S. : What graphics card are you using? Could you upload a report to http://delphigl.de/glcapsviewer/listreports.php if you haven't done so, so I can see what it supports?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast