Well I got what I was asking for, which was good feedback on the whole idea. pstudio especially has brought up some good points. One that seems to stick with me is the logistics factor. It can be a challenge just to keep a team together let alone create something together. I think even if I did try this one eventually, I'd have to put this one on the backburner at least for now.

You have to admit though, you notice the quality/polish difference a team game project can make. Esp. looking back at the PGD Annuals.

This idea came up some time after a bit of self reflection. I have realized that I am actually a much better "game designer" than I am a game programmer. The difference obviously is that I seem to excel at the design of the game play and game mechanics more so than the software that makes it all work it's self. This is directly reflected in my programming style. All my work seems to lend it's self to ease of design, rather than ease of constructing the software backend side of things.

As such I tend to work better in a team environment.