Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Dog Fight Competition

PGD Dog Fight Competition

btw, is one allowed to use code he already developed ? For example, the basis for a 3d engine or similar?
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

Hi Nicola,
    There is nothing stopping you from using your own base code.

Maybe in a future competition we might have one were everyone has to use the same base code.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

For those looking for free 3D models, there are some @
    http://www.3d02.com/3d_model_index.asp?hddFree=1
    http://www.3dheaven.net/models_main.htm
    http://www.lowpolygon3d.com/

NOTE : I have not used these models, so cannot vouch for their quality.

or for 2D you might want to try
    http://www.flyingyogi.com/fun/spritelib.html

If anyone has some other texture, sprite libraries, that others can use, please post a link on this thread.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I would participate but since I don't like OpenSource model (many of the libraries I've made will be used for commercial apps), maybe I'll pass this one up... :cry:

LifePower,
    The OpenSource part only applies to the game not the libraries that you use. I could hardly expect people to supply the source code of DirectX for example.

The aim of the contest is to produce a game, but it is also a way of helping the Pascal game development community by sharing code with up and coming Pascal developers in the future.

If you have libraries, I would think that this is a way to showcase how good they are. You could just supply a DLL/obj/dcu of your library under a licence that would only allow your libraries to be used for non-commercial games.

It is a pity you cannot take part. I hope you reconsider.

Thanks, that's actually what I was going to ask (just occuried to me, to provide all the required DLLs with the game with non-commercial license). I might have a chance to participate
    As a suggestion, you might want to consider size limits, whatever they might be. 64k is really challenging, but if you don't want to limit the developers that much, why not having like 3 or 5 Mb size limit? My point is that it's relatively easily to make like 300 Mb-sized game (uses a lot of movies, music, whatever) which might be good or not but will be really annoying to download (and I think it's not the point of the contest). As an interesting example, our TMDC7 entry which occupies a little less than 2.8 Mb in final build - the entire project (tools, source code, etc) occupies 160 Mb. Another point is, if the size limits are infinite or big, the teams that have good artists, 3d designers and the specific tools will have much more advantage; for instance, there're some ppl who are not very good at art, while there're teams that have ppl working in 2D/3D artwork with powerful tools which I think will give advantages especially in game competition and thus is unfair - this is Pascal game contest, not 2D/3D art contest (as a note, our team *has* 2D/3D art ppl ). I hope this is enough to think about. :roll:

Finally is there any idea about the minimal physical requirements (CPU, memory, etc), system specs, DirectX version, etc.

Cheers,
    Lifepower

You bring up an interesting point about file limits. I will have to sleep on it this evening and will make a decision on it tomorrow.

Please bear with me developers, this is my first competition I am trying to organise .

i think a 25mb (build + media) limit is good

First thing : It's great to see some activity around the pascal scene, and this compo seems to be a great opportunity.

And I'd also really like to enter it, but this is what I don't like :
    3. The Executables must be able to run on either a Sony Viao Laptop with a ATI Radeon IGP card or a Desktop machine that has an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti card.
    If I enter I want to do a game using newton for physics and opengl for graphics. AND I'd like to use glSlang-shaders to spice up the graphics, but since the GF3 doesn't support glSlang (and even ARB-shaders arent' supported) I won't be able to use them in my app (or better said : they won't be seen by the judges). Don't you have access to any newer graphics cards? The only work-around for me would be to write shaders using NVidias Extensions, but I don't really like using vendor-specific extensions, especially since I'm on a Radeon 9700.

And one additional thing, since I plan on a close-to-real WW2-setting : Are we allowed to let the player fight for WW2-germany, or do you consider that something too political incorrect for the compo?

i think a 25mb (build + media) limit is good
    I disagree. Not everybody has adsl. 10mb is more than enough.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast