Thread: G.T.A.2 Map Editor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was surfing whole day on he net and found a good tutorial how to make dynamic and more than 8 lights with opengl.
    I downloaded the example, messed around with it alot to understand what he is doing.
    He used simple .obj model for lighting effect but i slowly added my own test vertex coords from map editor and i got it working with my vertices. The results look very very promising for me, im very happy with results so far.

I believe i can show lights like these in my editor very soon:
    http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/683/lights2w.png
    http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1940/edtrlights.png
    Last edited by hwnd; 03-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Nothing much to write atm but i took a small break from this thing. Currently im working on that "logic" that draws the transparent faces (walls) and with some slopes that had problems previously, fortunately there is only 4 of them that need special handling when rendering them.

Im making them work face by face. Easier in that case. Not writing all out and then debugging.
    Found more lighting examples, but i must review each of them, find their pros and cons and find one that works at the best in my case.

Worked a bit on generation of minimaps (map thumbnails) (256x256 in size). Few examples:

It's not final ofc. I noticed some small problems with it. It's skips some things.
    Last edited by hwnd; 10-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.

It looks cool, but why so red/yellow city?

Actually the maps are not yellow, just minimaps, just the way i generate colors, i take some color and then take into account the actual Z of the X,Y,Z loop and doing "COLOR or Z" logical op. And take into account the "ground type" at current X,Y,Z This results the "yellow" minimaps.
    Now if i look at them i think they are too yellow.

I work with 64x64 tiles, there can be max 991 of them. Its very slow to actually loop through entire map and resize all textures to 1x1 pixel and draw bmp, this way it would match colors of actual map but i have to find a faster way of doing this. I did some quick tests. Of course i did all in one X,Y,Z "triple" loop. Alot of repeating.

Will try something else later.

Also i made the camera move to work with mouse dragging on the minimap. Even on the scaled down version of minimap which i needed very much, because 256x256 on the form is way too big.
    Very simple math. Sadly i didn't figure out this by myself but thanks to one open source fpc project. But it works perfectly.
    Last edited by hwnd; 10-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Found a bit of motivation to fix bug with rendering of flat (transparent) faces. Marked as arrows:

What i have to do for rendering and picking such faces is to add additional vertex coords for all slopes.
    When i do picking i have to check if face is flat or not and process specific vertex data.
    I tried this method on few slopes and it worked fine.

Also i fixed today the flickering of flat faces (graffiti) on the walls. Added a 0.001 value.

EDIT: also added minimap to editor and navigating on the map when moving small rectangle on the minimap with mouse. Minimaps are not yellow now, i still have to tweak it but not much.
    That's all for now. Gtg to sleep.
    Last edited by hwnd; 12-02-2013 at 03:40 AM.

I finally fixed problems with slopes 49-52. All there is now with slopes is to add flat faces (not all slopes can have them) and add picking code back.
    Some slopes do not have flat faces but i must verify each slope in GTA2 to actually see how it renders each slope flat faces.

Also i added the LID shading (fake shadows) which do look pretty good.
    Arrows show the thing.

Do you have rendering order for transparent surfaces? With Z-buffer alone they would show up bugged depending on camera angle.