Thread: voxel game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    infinite world would be nice but I don't actually need that in my game so after some thinking I dropped the idea. I'm a newbie to opengl and 3d in general so making 'perfect' game world would take me forever.

There are lot's of consequences for infinite world approach, besides saving the generated terrain. Ideally space should be divided to chunks with equal side length to not limit the max height of the world. I did go for fixed height (ie. 32x256x32 but can vary across maps) which results in world being sort of 2d grid. Also I don't stream chunks from disk but load them in one go and store generated mesh in separate vbo's. In my 'simulation' game it would take some more effort to update all the stuff like water, atmospehere and ai across that infinite world. So not this time

Btw what I really love about voxels is that it's not that much 'explored' as 'poly' world I mean there's a lot stuff to invent rather than use solutions that have been around for years

there's nice article about voxel world generation: http://accidentalnoise.sourceforge.n...aftworlds.html
    I don't use that library but it gives some ideas
    Last edited by laggyluk; 31-07-2013 at 09:19 AM.