Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: voxel game

voxel game

edit: public repo is here: https://github.com/laggyluk/brick_engine
    or engine. or both, anyways i'm working on it. current state is a bunch of cubes that can be edited, saved and loaded. Doesn't look pretty yet, need to add some lighting/shading. made in lazarus and opengl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjcsXlwQSQ

Last edited by laggyluk; 25-05-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: You can post YouTube videos right in your posts! :)

It looks smooth. What kind of optimizations have you used?

not many, map is divided into 32x256x32 chunks, each has it's own vbo. then I'm sending only centre of each cube to the gpu instead of all the verts and cube is created in geometry shader. in the alpha channel is encoded info which faces are actually visible and since I'm planning to use deferred rendering then alpha is not much of use anyways. and I do frustum culling on chunks, 'radar' in right bottom corner shows which of them are rendered. runs pretty smooth on my laptop, we'll see if it's still smooth with lighting

attempt to implement deferred rendering when knowing opengl so little wasn't a smartest move. after few days of struggle I decided to do usual lighting for starters and yay, it works:
    forward rendering.jpg

deferred + ssao

btw anyone knows if this sort of 'shading' is ssao or some other technique?
    22.jpg
    Last edited by WILL; 14-02-2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: You can post images and video right into your posts here! :)

Had a little break from the project but it turned out that my distraction can be integrated into the engine.
    behold> behaviour tree logic editor connected to the sprite's artificial brain via udp

Cool. Do you know if it works on Linux? And what's the minimal graphics card needed? I have some ideas about voxeled games...
    No signature provided yet.

I think it should work on linux after some minor changes to input handling.
    runs at 50-60 fps on gt 540m which isn't that great.

now working on a terrain generation:

Added 3d L-system for plant generation
    As I continue to learn on the subject, I've begun to see major flaws in my design so I rather make a game than rewrite everything to make it a better engine.
    Planet exploration game. Like all those other minecraft-settlers-dwarf-fortress clones that started popping around but in space

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast