Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL for FMX

OpenGL for FMX

Why did Embarcadero went with DirectX for FMX on Windows and OpenGL for other platforms?

Anyway I'm trying to make a game, that has side aspect-voxel-engine. I can work with OpenGL. Other than that the game would need to display and handle lot of text data. Tables, lists, etc. For that FMX would be perfect. At least to begin with so I do not have to do everything from scratch.

Anyone have knowledge or opinnions about these? Are there easy Delphi/OpenGL tools for building UI with text/lists etc.

What options I have combining the use of OpenGL on FMX form on Windows?

* Change FMX/Windows to use OpenGL instead of DirectX
    * Place OpenGL panel on the form and use that. Rest of the form would use DirectX. Is this a mess, drawing one part with OpenGL and rest of the form with DirectX?

Of course I could just go with OpenGL, and VCL for easy interface.
    Last edited by Thyandyr; 28-05-2017 at 03:38 PM.

I've tried OpenGL + some LCL components (lazarus equivalent for VCL) on top of that but it was a mess. Didn't find any useful framework for drawing UI in OpenGL, it was another reason to ditch my project
    Had some ideas about making gui as html page and render it to texture using chromium embedded osr mode but I've never got to actually try it.

I just figured I'll use VCL parallel with OpenGL for development, and if everything goes well, and I end up with enough worthy code, I'll make a proper gui by hand later.

I just want to get going and do the fun stuff without the need to build everything from scratch.

It's because FireMonkey is based directly on the codebase of DXScene by Eugene Kryukov. DXScene was itself just a proprietary fork of GLScene that used Direct3D 9 as a rendering backend instead of OpenGL. (And to be quite honest it was always just a lot worse than GLScene in every way, since like 80 to 90 percent of the useful aspects of the library were stripped out for the purposes of "simplification".)

So yeah, to make a long story short: FireMonkey is a fork of a bad fork. The only reason Embarcadero went back to using OpenGL on other platforms is because DirectX doesn't exist on those platforms. If you want something that works similarly to FMX but is way better, just use GLScene itself, which has always remained actively developed.
    Last edited by Akira13; 30-05-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    So yeah, to make a long story short: FireMonkey is a fork of a bad fork. The only reason Embarcadero went back to using OpenGL on other platforms is because DirectX doesn't exist on those platforms. If you want something that works similarly to FMX but is way better, just use GLScene itself, which has always remained actively developed.
    Well, I'd wish there was something like firemonkey for lazarus even if it's bad fork/work.

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    Didn't find any useful framework for drawing UI in OpenGL, it was another reason to ditch my project
    Would you be willing to try ImGui ? I'm working on the pascal bindings at the moment and imho they're already usable.

Quote Originally Posted by imcold View Post
    Would you be willing to try ImGui ? I'm working on the pascal bindings at the moment and imho they're already usable.
    Sure, looks pretty decent. Where do I get it? I mean the pascal bindings

Quote Originally Posted by imcold View Post
    This seems to be what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    Well, I'd wish there was something like firemonkey for lazarus even if it's bad fork/work.
    There is. The Lazarus version of GLScene. Like I said, FireMonkey is based on DXScene which was itself based on GLScene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast