Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: voxel game

Working on a 'job dispatching' system. Idle workers wonder around and pick up jobs that fit their skill set.
    So far they know only how to dig holes

An idea: voxeled based "lemmings" game. Unfortunatelly it may be too dificult to manage...
    No signature provided yet.

yeah, like efficient 3d pathfinding ;0 time to figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    As I continue to learn on the subject, I've begun to see major flaws in my design so I rather make a game than rewrite everything to make it a better engine.
    Many times making a game instead of making an engine is much more efficient way of learning process, and definitely much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    yeah, like efficient 3d pathfinding ;0 time to figure it out
    I strongly recomend implementing some heuristic pathfinding algorithm.
    While plain old A* can be easily implemented for 3D worlds due to it being node based it can become quite slow when number of nodes is large.
    But if you do implement it using heuristic approach you can make it a lot faster.
    And another suggestion. If you haven't been thinking about multithreading now is the time.
    I have seen many games which are being limited due to singlethreaded implementation and not verry eficient pathfinding algorithms.

Yeah, I got the a* sort of working in 3d. I've read about jump point search algorithm being major improvement to a* however stuff I've read didn't state if it's also suitable for 3d grids (guess so but not sure).
    My game's architecture has a central 'message pump' or sth that is used to separate all the major subsystems so it should work with multithreading. When actor needs a path calculated it adds that 'demand' to the queue rather then call the 'path finder' directly.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast