Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: voxel game

firemonkey logic editor was made for a client of mine as part of mmo bot and I reused it here. logic is saved to xml and it's on the game/bot/whatever how it's gonna be handled so it's sort of project independent

Finally had some time to work on this again added direct actor control, 'system' for animating variables and undo/redo + workflow improvements in the editor. I think this is gonna end up as a action game after all..

looks really cool!!! (hope you release something playable like a tech demo or something soon)

This looks awesome.
    Existence is pain

Yes, looks really cool.

A personal wish: Is it possible to make it looks more "pixelated"? Actually I have some old ideas about games involving voxel, and I like the old-school pixelated looking. Look at Ken Silverman's Voxlap engine for reference.
    No signature provided yet.

thanks guys. @Ñuño My voxels are not really voxels (same goes for almost all 'voxel' games, including minecraft) but a 3d grid of cubes. To get more pixelated look it would either require using lower resolution or scaling cubes down. can't really do the latter, I'm getting choppy fps with not so big map in view already.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    It's looking great man!

Sorry to be an arsehole - but Voxels are a concept - a 3D pixel. Which can't actually exist without some form of truly free floating 3D, digital display. They can be represented on a 2D screen with a 3D projection of say, a cube or just a filled square/rect like the older voxel engines used to do (or spheres even as is the metaball like future of voxel engines).

Your voxels are not voxels no, but they're as voxel as any other voxel that has so far yet existed.

Anyway, my OCD for correct semantics dealt with - fantastic work! loving it
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I think I didn't explain correctly. I was asking about if your "non-voxels" can look more like actual voxels instead of "small boxes". Ken Silverman's Voxlap achieves it by "deactivating" shadows on the cubes, so they look "flat", making it more "pixelated".

Actually Voxlap does it because it's faster (it uses a sofware renderer) but I like the feel it gives to scenes, specially if voxels are small.
    No signature provided yet.

stilll his voxels are really small compared to mine
    funny thing though, if I run it in 320x240 it deosn't loose as much detail as 'normal' 3D game
    Attached Images Attached Images

I forgot where I read it but some newer graphic cards suposingly have hardware support for single color voxel rendering.
    On those graphics cards it is posible to have whole scenes made from tiny voxels and still achive high FPS, while achieveing similar by rendering lots of smal cubes wouldn't give same performance.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast