pfff, that has been a while and it was with an older version of SDL_Mixer so it might be that they fixed some of them, I remember that the MP3 playback was not too good, most of my MP3 collection didn't get played back correctly (okay that is SMPEG but still)... I remember that MIDI playback had some issues, not entirely sure what issues anymore, we also needed 44100 Sample rate, however I cannot remember the problem you speak of but it could be that it occured, which would also have been a reason to drop the library... I also remember being annoyed by the fact that there is a volume setting for MIDI which doesn't appear to work in Win32 (it's an empty function ... at least it was back then), but there was nothing about that in the manual.

However It's hard to remember exactly what problems occured since it's been about 2 years ago and I've seen quite a few libraries pass by. I remember we wrote some work-arounds for some of the bugs but in the end there where a few very stubbern bugs we just couldn't work-around and so we decided to steer away from it... I wanted to inform the JEDI-SDL group back then and we even talked about providing you guys with the sound engine code, however I had to start working on a new sound engine back then and we had to start looking for a new sound library that due to some weird reason I totally forgot to notify you guys and now I only vaguely remember some of the problems we had back then... :-/ I think I can still find and send you the sound engine code, however I think it's a bit outdated now with the new SDL versions...

I must admit though that the CD Playback functions of SDL itself where quite good... I have never used SDLs own sound features but I do know that I won't touch SDL_Mixer anymore unless I don't have any other choice!