Thread: Use of succ() and pred() functions

Use of succ() and pred() functions

Hi,

Is that common to use succ() and pred() functions when doing simple math (adding and subtracting values)?

For example for setting size of dynamic variable.

Code:
      SetLength(V, Succ(Length(V)));
    Versus this...

Code:
      SetLength(V, Length(V) + 1);
    Which one is faster?
    - In a world without the wall and fences, who will need the Gates and Windows.

Succ() and Pred() would usually be used for enumerated values.

[pascal]
    type
    TSampleEnum = (seOne, seTwo, seThree);

var
    Enum: TSampleEnum;
    begin
    Enum := seTwo;
    Enum := Succ(Enum);
    end;
    [/pascal]
    For the case you describe, Length(V) + 1 is definitely the more common usage.

As an aside, I read somewhere (I think it was on High Performance Delphi which is now gone), that
    [pascal]
    i := i + 1;
    [/pascal]
    is faster than
    [pascal]
    Inc(i);
    [/pascal]
    Mind you, I have not given this any serious testing, so it's just hearsay at the moment.

As an aside, I read somewhere (I think it was on High Performance Delphi which is now gone), that
    is faster than
    Inc(i);
    Not quite true, add operation could be faster than inc as inc cannot be pipelined, but doing a check in Delphi6 reveales that all these
    Inc(i);
    i:= succ(i);
    generate the same code - inc.

Okey, thanks for your answers. It seems to that I have to change my way to do things.

That's not to say that your usage is wrong. It is still a quite valid and legal way to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    That's not to say that your usage is wrong. It is still a quite valid and legal way to do things.
    Yeah sure, but I want to maximize the performance of my code (I'm programming a game with DX right now).

As Paulius said, all three approaches produced the same assembly code, so they are all the same speed.

As Paulius said, all three approaches produced the same assembly code, so they are all the same speed.
    Ouh. Then it doesn't matter how I code it.

IIRC on Turbo Pascal succ() and pred() were faster, just like with TP

x:=x+1;

was slower than inc(x);

So people using succ and pred instead of +1 and -1 probably have this habit from TP times.

FPC and Delphi optimize this away, and succ and pred are now typically only useful for enumerations.