Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SDL 2.0 Headers for [Object] Pascal?

Blog Entries

Question SDL 2.0 Headers for [Object] Pascal?

Hey guys, I'm normally the one to go out and find these things most of the time, but I've been searching around and have no idea who might have created headers for the new 2.0 version of SDL.

There are a lot of changes since the old 1.x version and it supports a lot of new things like multiple screens and windows along with force feedback on all the top 3 desktops. And a whole slew of other things.

Here is the introduction docs in case you want to know more about it yourself: http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/Introduction

Currently there is an issue with going fulllscreen on Mac OS X Lion and above using SDL 1.2.X so I'm looking into hopping over to 2.0 which is better, but would require appropreate headers. Does anyone know of a Pascal developer that has started or completed such a project?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Also my question. If there will be SDL 2.0 for Pascal, will this break the SDL_Image and other things?
    I guess they will not work with SDL, because of rewrite of SDL.
    Or im wrong?

I am looking for SDL2 headers, too. But there seems to be no Pascal support as far as I can tell. The only one I found is SDLh.pas for the game Hedgewars but I think SDL2 is only used for the mobile ports ...
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 25-02-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    If there will be SDL 2.0 for Pascal, will this break the SDL_Image and other things?
    Judging from the Mercurial web interface, SDL 2.0 will come with new versions of _image, _mixer, _net and _ttf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    Also my question. If there will be SDL 2.0 for Pascal, will this break the SDL_Image and other things?
    Like Super Vegeta said, there are newer versions of the support libraries like SDL_image and the rest that will support SDL 2.

The main problem is that there are no Pascal-based headers from what I can tell. Perhaps this is a new project for the community?

From what I can tell it would be worth it to work on a new set of headers for SDL. Considering the advantages that 2 brings to the table. Multiple display/window support, Force feedback for Win/Lin/Mac, improved video hardware acceleration support and of course Full Screen functionality that was lost to SDL 1.x in the last 2 versions of Mac OS X. :/

I don't think that Dom is doing much with JEDI-SDL these days other than just holding onto the repository. Honestly though I think that the "JEDI" label should probably be retired at some point considering that Delphi is likely much lower on the list of game dev tools these days.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Don't forget another big plus: statical linking is allowed on all platforms...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    Yes true!

Also you can in fact use it for your Android and iOS games as I read from the SDL website.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Just wanted to give a FYI on this topic.. since SDL 2.0 has gone RC, I have started doing the FPC header conversion for it. Not sure when or how much of it will be done -- I am trying to convert as much as possible, though some of the headers don't have a natural analogue in FPC.

Once I get a clean pass and can compile some test/example apps with it, I'll publish it on github.

Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
    Just wanted to give a FYI on this topic.. since SDL 2.0 has gone RC, I have started doing the FPC header conversion for it. Not sure when or how much of it will be done -- I am trying to convert as much as possible, though some of the headers don't have a natural analogue in FPC.

Once I get a clean pass and can compile some test/example apps with it, I'll publish it on github.
    Those are really good news!
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
    ...I have started doing the FPC header conversion for it... ...Once I get a clean pass and can compile some test/example apps with it, I'll publish it on github.
    That's great! Please keep the community informed. There are many that have been using SDL as a starting point into game graphics programming. It would be great if we could finally get an updated resource.

Dominique Louis (aka savage) no longer updates JEDI-SDL so it's kind of hard to tote it as the best beginners library out there now. Though it's not 100% obsolete, it's starting to age and compatibility and stability will start becoming an issue as desktop OSes start to evolve.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast