View Poll Results: What tools are you currently using to write your games with?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Delphi

13 37.14%
  • Free Pascal

18 51.43%
  • Lazarus

19 54.29%
  • Delphi Prism / Oxygene for .NET

0 0%
  • Oxygene for Java

3 8.57%
  • Oxygene for Mac/iOS (Nougat Beta)

0 0%
  • Smart Mobile Studio

2 5.71%
  • Other (Tell us please...)

6 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tools are you currently using to makes games with these days? - 2013

Blog Entries

Question What tools are you currently using to makes games with these days? - 2013

It's always good to take stock in what tools everyone is using as time passes. It was just a bit over 10 years ago that Delphi was just about the only game in town for games development using the Pascal language -- FPC was not as well developed then as it is now!

Fastforward to today and well there are many other options and frankly they are more appealing in many ways from a game programming and indie dev perspective. Not that it's not a great tool still and that it hasn't evolved over the years, but considering an indie developer's budget, need for platform portability and scale of support it's not something that lends it's self to the small developer much anymore.

Personally, I've seen a growing trend moving towards Free Pascal and Lazarus along with much newer alternatives like Smart Mobile Studio and the Oxygene compilers. Some have been adopted far more than others and of course some developers seem to remain die-hard fans of the old D-phi.

So which are you? What do you use for all of your current projects? Please let us know so we can get an idea of the scope of the Pascal-based game development landscape!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I develop my GUI programs in Lazarus, but when I'm not using LCL, most often I don't bother and just use Geany or vim. Compiling always with FPC. In the very old days, I used Turbo Pascal, but I never touched Delphi. As for Smart Mobile Studio, it's a nice tool, but I found it more entertaining to actually try to learn some JavaScript (I made one game recently and I'm working on another one right now).

I still keep Delphi compatibility on the game engine i do, but for any own project that's exclusively Lazarus. Simply more language features and stuff, PC is also the only platform i have interest to.

Teaching my son Lazarus with the goal to making some small games using it.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

FPC. In the past, Think Pascal was the big one, then Metrowerks Pascal filled in on PowerPC (but even then, most development was in Think). Think Pascal was the environment that pushed Turbo Pascal out of the Mac market.

I'm personally stil sticking to Delphi. The main reason for this is the fact that not so long ago I invested in buying Delphi XE2 proffesional. So if I switch my development tools not it would seem that all that money was just thrown away.
    Besides currently I'm only targeting Windows platforms since I know it prety well. But this doesn't mean that I'm not thinking about going to other platforms in the future. Thats why I'm already trying to use such components which already have support to other platforms (mostly being compatible with FPC) and I try avoiding ause of any Windows only specific code as much as I can.
    Right now I'm decing wheter I should or shouldn't use OmniThread library. While OmniThread library alos you to easily make Multithreaded applications it currently only works on Windows based systems. Also based on Primož Gabrielčič's words there is no plan of porting OmniThread library to other plaftorms for now as it would require compleete rewrite of the whole library as it heavily relies on Windows functionality.

I am using FPC and Geany for developing my engine. Lazarus for the editor. For games I am using most often my own editor with my Lua based engine. At the moment I am learning HTML5/Javascript (since I can't afford SMS ).
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 26-02-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Free Pascal + gVim. Doing it like "the good old days". For graphics I use The GIMP. I want to test Smart Studio because I want to do things on Android and such.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm View Post
    Teaching my son Lazarus with the goal to making some small games using it.
    That's so awesome. I want to teach my daughter how to program when she is old enough. It's an amazingly creative skill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    I am using FPC and Geany for developing my engine. Lazarus for the editor. For games I am using most often my own editor with my Lua based engine. At the moment I am learning HTML5/Javascript (since I can't afford SMS ).
    Have you checked out Udacity yet? They have an HTML5 Game Dev course on there. It's basically free university education, online style. It's pretty cool I've started a CS 101 course with them to try it out. Fairly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Free Pascal + gVim. Doing it like "the good old days". For graphics I use The GIMP. I want to test Smart Studio because I want to do things on Android and such.
    Smart has a trial and did you sign up for their contest where you could win a free device?

Also have you tried Oxygene for Java? You can compile 100% native Android apps and that code would then be portable to .NET for Windows and eventually to native Mac OS X and iOS with the new compiler that's coming out. I'm on the Beta and it's pretty swift.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Smart has a trial and did you sign up for their contest where you could win a free device?

Also have you tried Oxygene for Java? You can compile 100% native Android apps and that code would then be portable to .NET for Windows and eventually to native Mac OS X and iOS with the new compiler that's coming out. I'm on the Beta and it's pretty swift.
    My computer hasn't the minimal requirements to run them. Yesterday I've order a new one.
    No signature provided yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast