Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which OpenGL Version to use for 2d games

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    Go Linux, be free
    If only most games would run on linux, it would be an option Last time i tried Ubuntu it had difficulties with simple matter as enabling hardware acceleration for operating system...

Never had a problem with that since Ubuntu from 2005... Yesterday I installed the Steam client and I am waiting now for Half Life 2 to be ported ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

I'm using Ubuntu only since 2006. The last versions should run fine in the majority of the hardware, but I recommend ATI or NVIDIA graphic cards.
    I have no dual boot, when I really need to run some windows apps, I run it via wine. It has a good compatibility, can run apps like Delphi 7 or games from old to new.
    But for a lifetime windows users, I suggest a dual boot for start and some persistence, because is hard to leave the confort and habit of years in commercial apps. The price of freedom is not so cheap, you can remember that the guys that take the red pill suffer more than the ones that take the blue pill...

Sorry by the off-topic...

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Ubuntu
    Well, here's your problem. I personally prefer Fedora, but I think that Mint is the best distro when it comes to hardware support.

And, as Rodrigo said, Dual Boot all the way. You can run many programs on Wine, but quite often this brings some performance issues, so it may be necessary to boot into Winderps once in a while. Just get a FAT/NTFS partition that you can share between the OSes and voila.

I'm using Mint13 and no problems, been playing tf2 on steam, best online game ever

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Stop listing Linux Distros! it's only about the code they include and the scripts for their installers etc it's the Linux kernel that does all the support and all that jazz. Mint has a highly customized interface/installer etc and ships ready for propitiatory drivers. That's no reason to say it's better than any other because it only takes a minute to install them. Ubuntu is lamer than OSX so stop using it, it's Linux for people that want to use Linux but don't understand Linux. Redhat is for corporate snobs and IT managers that are too scared to use Linux without a big fat support contract.

If you're using Ubuntu, switch to Debian. Ubuntu is just a re-badged Debian with additonal packages, they take the skill and hard work of people working on serious distro, stick a bunch of idiot friendly wizards over the top then install their own pig-awful desktop. (Android anybody?) Even better switch to Arch, compile *everything* fully optimized for your hardware without using slower, generic kernel/binaries etc or use 'Scientifc Linux' and pretend you work at Cern! or you can use SuSE which is Redhat for Germans that wink at each other in chat rooms and throw veiled insults at non-germans that dare try and interact with them on a technical level.

Anyway, we all know that Slackware is the best.
    Last edited by phibermon; 30-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123