Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Pascal 2.0

Free Pascal 2.0

I'm not having the same problem with the AV. Just the compiler error. If you reinstall FPC, make sure that your PATH environment variable is correct. Remove all references to earlier versions of FPC. I access the PATH variable in WinXP by right clicking on My Computer then choosing Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Free Pascal 2.0

The information is identical in earlier versions of the ref.pdf document. This suggests that if the compiler didn't complain about your code in earlier versions of FPC, then this must have been a bug in those earlier versions which has been fixed in v2.0.0. I can't access the Free Pascal web site at the moment or I could check their bug list to see if it was indeed a bug.

As to whether type definitions should be searched for in backwards order or forwards order, I'll leave that to the experts to mull over!
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Free Pascal 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    I'm not having the same problem with the AV. Just the compiler error. If you reinstall FPC, make sure that your PATH environment variable is correct. Remove all references to earlier versions of FPC. I access the PATH variable in WinXP by right clicking on My Computer then choosing Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables.
    Yes that is the way I set it up last time.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Free Pascal 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    The information is identical in earlier versions of the ref.pdf document. This suggests that if the compiler didn't complain about your code in earlier versions of FPC, then this must have been a bug in those earlier versions which has been fixed in v2.0.0. I can't access the Free Pascal web site at the moment or I could check their bug list to see if it was indeed a bug.
    Maybe it's just me then, getting things confused. I put it down to old age.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Free Pascal 2.0

OK the linking error on Linux is now sorted. Thanks guys.

Re-installed 2.0.0 and still get the AV on startup once the SoAoS project compiles. Smaller demos, like that ones that ship with JEDI-SDL compile and work fine, but the Siege of Avalon one just won't work with 2.0.0.

I just compiled SoAoS.dpr with 1.9.4 and it compiles and runs, not flawlessly, but I definately don't get any AVs. Just to clarify, by not flawlessly I mean that that version of the FreePascal compiler had some other issues which show themselves at runtime, but no AVs.

My next step will be to try and compile Siege of Avalon on Linux using FreePascal 2.0. That will need to wait until the morning as I am knackered.

Free Pascal 2.0

ok I tried recompiling the project on Linux using 2.0 and it compiles but, again at run-time I get an Access Violation. I will need to uninstall 2.0. So there definatley seems that something has changed in the 2.0 compiler. As I mentioned this all used to work with 19.4-1.9.8 versions of the compiler.

Free Pascal 2.0

Just to confirm, I reinstalled FPC 1.9.8 on Linux last night and as mentioned everything compiles and and I don't get an AV on startup. It doesn't work perfectly, but definately does not AV on startup.

This has been using the Delphi compatability mode ( -Sd ) all along. What are other developer's experiences with using the normal FreePascal ( objfpc I think it's called ) mode.

Free Pascal 2.0

One of the guys on the JEDI-SDL list narrowed it down and I managed to put together a small sample application that shows the Access Violation.

[pascal]program Project1;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

uses
    SysUtils;

type
    TMyNotifyEvent = procedure of object;

TMyBaseWindow = class( TObject )
    private
    FOnRender: TMyNotifyEvent;
    public
    property OnRender: TMyNotifyEvent read FOnRender write FOnRender;
    end;

TBaseInterface = class( TObject )
    protected
    procedure Render; virtual; abstract;
    public
    MainWindow : TMyBaseWindow;
    constructor Create;
    destructor Destroy; override;
    procedure ResetInputManager;
    end;

TMyInterface = class( TBaseInterface )
    protected
    procedure Render; override;
    end;

{ TBaseInterface }
    constructor TBaseInterface.Create;
    begin
    inherited;
    WriteLn( 'TBaseInterface.Create' );
    MainWindow := TMyBaseWindow.Create;
    ResetInputManager;
    end;

destructor TBaseInterface.Destroy;
    begin
    MainWindow.Free;
    inherited;
    end;

procedure TBaseInterface.ResetInputManager;
    begin
    WriteLn( 'ResetInputManager' );
    MainWindow.OnRender := Render;
    end;

{ TMyInterface }
    procedure TMyInterface.Render;
    begin
    WriteLn( 'Rendering' );
    end;

var
    MyInterface : TMyInterface;

begin
    MyInterface := TMyInterface.Create;

MyInterface.Render;

MyInterface.Free;
    end.
    [/pascal]

When executed, this code works in 1.9.4-1.9.8, but does not work in 2.0.0.

I have submitted a bug report to the FreePascal site and it is bug ID 3997.

Free Pascal 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    I have submitted a bug report to the FreePascal site and it is bug ID 3997.
    Any news on this bug? it's still unfixed.. did they tell anything on the ML?
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

Free Pascal 2.0

That bug is still listed as "Unfixed". Another bug I submitted to do with IniFiles has now been fixed, but then I did supply a patch for it ( though it was not used ). Maybe if someon has the time to look at the compiler source and submit a patch it would get fixed more quickly.

Is the compiler source part of the source distro?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast